The Productive Backyard 2016

A place to share garden and outdoor spaces plans and activities.
Harriet

The Productive Backyard 2016

Postby Harriet » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:54 pm

Here’s a space to discuss the chores and pleasant efforts that bring something from the land into your kitchen and home.

Planning and designing,
Vegetable garden harvests,
Egg gathering,
Beautiful blooms,
4-H projects,
Canning/freezing/putting up,
Orchard fruits,
Composting and building soil,
Livestock appreciation!

Harriet

Re: The Productive Backyard 2016

Postby Harriet » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:06 pm

It's about that time for my neck of the woods.

I know things are changing to a productive time because my over-wintering flowers are just going past their prime and the hens are starting into a more consistent lay.

I need to get out to a garden center soon, mainly to check out baskets for my chicken planter given to me by the grandchildren at Christmas. I want to make sure they know I appreciate it.

Whether I'll try any tomatoes this year, I'm not sure. ( Hmmm... ... could put a trailing cherry tomato in that planter!) Would really love to grow more veggies , but the time just isn't there. My cousin who will be truck farming is turning his soil for the first time today. We understand his plan is for a fully fenced area. I would assume I could beg some tomatoes from him! :D

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:09 pm

Have chicks in the coop with tail feathers now so cute! We need to haul off a load of branches. Too soon to think about planiting much more than roses here.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:30 am

Last fall dh and I planted 6 trays of spring flowers. All 6 have been sprouting over the past couple of days. One tray has a head start on the rest and there are numerous short yellow blooms. Dh says crocus. I have no idea.

We have numerous plans. One of the plans did include chickens at one point, but with a coyote in the neighbourhood and at least 2 hawks of some sort, dh has decided that this isn't a great idea. We also have at least 2 owls that we hear from time to time.

There is one raised bed already in place with dirt in it. Dh planted garlic last fall and that is sprouting already. 2 other raised beds are planned and dh has the boxes already. We haven't placed them or filled them yet. The back of the yard is very wet. There is a definite difference between the yard closer to the house than the back of the yard. We are planning on putting down gravel and paving stones between the raised beds so we can walk around without all the muck.

Dh brought home my burn barrel yesterday but he has to drill some holes in it before I can start to use it.

As you can tell, we do a lot of things together.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:44 am

I think I need a better spot for the tomatoes this year it is too shady in the kitchen garden area. Thinking on this.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:39 am

Looking ahead to planting tomatoes and basil, my favorite backyard garden products. I am worried about ddog in the tomato raised beds, I find him in there periodically digging, dh and I have talked about a small fence or something to keep him out.

A very large pot on the patio usually holds basil, and likewise, I need to keep him from "grazing" there. Over the winter, he pulled out the dead stems for me and chewed them up. I had a small sage from last year that overwintered - I don't use it much but should this year. The one that overwintered came as a "favor" at a fundraising dinner - small pots of herbs - all kinds for attendees. This year that fundraiser had small pots of violas which I have outside still.

I've decided that instead of planting another veggie or two in raised beds, that I'll put out some zinnia seeds. So easy to grow and they bloom all summer into the fall - if I can keep the ddog out.

I miss the yard at our old house - I loved being able to pick something small that was blooming or interesting to bring inside. In the heat of the summer, used to sometimes put some long hosta leaves in a vase. Perhaps I could put in a hosta or two on the shady side of the house.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:24 pm

Dh recently received an empty tank from a winery. It is marked "damaged" but neither one of us can see any damage. It may have been at the opening, which is now just a hole with no winery equipment on it.

Today dh built a very sturdy platform for it as we have decided that it will be used as a holding tank for water for the gardens. We have 3 boxes already prepared for raised beds. We will be getting some mixed manure from one friend and some other fill from another friend that works at or near a flower farm. If it wasn't snowing out today, we probably would have placed the tank and the beds. Dh is also waiting for a delivery of crushed stone for the walkway in between. The current grassy area is too wet and becomes muddy and difficult easily so that is our solution.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:26 am

I have to wait til May to put stuff out so not buying plants yet. I have decided to plant toms in pots I have here.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:55 pm

Getting just a few eggs a day suits us.

The hens run free in the evenings so that they will be content to go up and I don't have to fuss. I open the people door during that time too, these hot days, to let the henhouse cool as much as it can before they are closed in.

Freezing a small block of ice to put into their water overnight makes the next day's heat easier on them, I think.

My red tuberous begonia in the red-combed-chicken basket holder is looking good - need to remember that for next spring, too. They seem to do well.

Twins' did you try the zinnias? Such pretty flowers at a distance, I think. Lots of color.

The violas at the back door "went by" completely last week. So that was probably 7 or 8 months in which we could see sweet blooms beginning last fall, peeking through in winter, then completely full and gorgeous in spring. Of course for the last few weeks the plants themselves looked scraggly, but individual blooms would be pretty even then - something I think about for pressing. The pansy family of flowers has been at my back door so many times over the years - my late dh's favorite flower, so everyone's used to seeing them there.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:14 pm

I have 6 adult hens (no roo) getting 5 eggs a day pretty consistantly keeps us and h's work crew in eggs. 8 young ones may be laying in a month time will tell we are keeping our fingers crossed.

We have green toms, plant cages are working great.
Donated unused pots to school green house for plant sale in next spring.
Hauled off tree branches. Some holes filled in more to do.

Red currents and green apples are great chicken food.
Got the area on the side yard that was under the trailer cleaned up, it needs to be reseeded maybe this fall.

Found one of those bbq pit on wheels in stock on sale, our ann. Is next week h is happy for an easy gift I am tickled as well will be so much easier to move. I will need to find a home for our other one.

Next I have one spot left to fill in on the rose hedge after the 4th tney go on sale clearance.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Outdoor Spaces and Gardens”