April Declutter and Organization, 2016

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

April Declutter and Organization, 2016

Postby Harriet » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:07 am

One quarter of 2016 is past but 3 more lie ahead! Who will be winning by 2017 - you or the clutter? :lol:

How are you moving through the clutter in your lovely home? Are you picking up and putting away, or are you passing it by? :) Be brave! It only takes a little time a day to make big changes!

You'd be surprised at how much you can accomplish in fifteen minutes of focused work, and that does tend to accumulate quickly as the days and weeks pass.

Plus, you get the enormous added benefit of staying close to your work, so that your comfort with it grows, it begins to appear less demanding and menacing, and your mind continues to chew on the problems even as you are occupied with other things.

Large, ambitious projects can induce procrastination and guilt. By committing to a small amount of work each day, with absolutely no pressure to do more than the minimum, steady progress can be made. - Andrew Utter

Post here with us about all your work!

blessedw2

Re: April Declutter and Organization, 2016

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:18 am

I am so impressed by the work done by all the de- clutterers
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:23 am

Office declutter has been like trudging through a surprising snow! White and overwhelming! :lol: And I sure do wish I had gotten further. But the start is there for the upcoming office focus, so I'm optimistic.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:01 pm

I wanted to mention, our bank had one of those big shredder trucks come in. They sent notice out with statements when the truck would be there. Anybody with a lot of shredding to do, check your bank they might have similar.

Our household gets the blue ribbon first prize for declutter this month! DH's helper was here outside the back door of shop, and he notices the old unusable lawn tractor sitting there. We'd run out of ways to get rid of it and we were just stumped. Helper looked at it and said his cousin had one just like it and might have use of it for parts. Tonight he came by and DH pushed it up into his trailer with our working lawn tractor, and it is GONE!

Then DH suggests he goes to our neighbor in back of us to ask about his 2 broken tractors which have been in his yard for years... and our neighbor gets $10 or $20 from helper, who takes those away too, with DH's help once again! Helper's cousin is in some sort of tractor business, but neither the neighbor or we care what he does with them, we're just glad they're gone!

So. Our back yard looks better, and so does our view into our neighbor's yard! Yippee!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:03 pm

Laundry area declutter this past week was productive. Clocked almost an hour and a half on the area including our tall cabinet.

Harmony, it's great you are getting large yard declutterings done. Yes, blue ribbon for extra, even suggesting help for a neighbor.

Storage week coming up for me. I have several small-ish storage areas that haven't been behaving in a very efficient manner lately :? so I need to peek in those and see what's going on in there! Will need the roll-around library stool, maybe, because a few of these are low without headroom. Wish you could just expand walls to do a declutter and then have them flex right back into place. Unfortunately, no. So I will probably end up with things in a arc behind me in hallway. Better set aside enough time when I start in on one.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:49 am

I haven't been able to be here but I am so impressed w all your work - blue ribbons to all of you!!!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:28 am

Speaking of storage areas... what do you store in the drawer under your oven? (Does your stove have a bottom drawer? What do you think the person that first designed one like that thought should go in there?)

I keep the large foil "oven liners" from the dollar store under there. I store all baking pans upside down in my pantry on a shelf dedicated to pots and pans.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:35 pm

I traded a friend some linnen thread for weaving for warp I can use dropped off a bag at the thrift shop.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:54 pm

Well I decluttered, cleaned and organized 4 drawers in my kitchen. Found half a dozen things to throw out.

I have a bottom drawer under my oven. I keep my pressure cooker in there (does it even work any more?) and my big enamel grill pan with the Chrome top piece with the slits that fits on top of it. I have one big glass pot lid that I seldom use, that is stored there too. They used to sell stoves with the enamel grill pan, and I've always seen it stored in that drawer.

These days a lot of stoves have a shallow drawer/oven at the top and a big square oven compartment under that, but with both ovens there isn't a space for a storage drawer any more.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”