Health and Fitness, April 2016

Share healthy living habits.
Twins' Mom

Re: Health and Fitness, April 2016

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:37 pm

Impressed and inspired by Kathryn, as usual.

Nancy, glad your knee is better and Ella was active! I took Chief this morning to the nearby green way and walked, and he got to splash around in the creek a little.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:28 pm

I'm just following LadyM who out-everything's me. And then there's RamblinRose who has transformed herself over the past 2 years. What is best is that these ladies are 'real' and around my age, rather than 30-something exercise gurus.

I'm thinking Rewire might be a good investment for the premium version but I have to figure out the alarms first. Was out this afternoon when the first one went off but it left a notification.

With the premium version, I can set multiple reminders through the day to do things (like get up and stretch, or drink water.) The free version only allows you to work on 5 habits and you can only set them up and be reminded to do them once per day.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:57 pm

Walked with my friend this evening after dinner.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:13 pm

Heard that broccoli sprouts are so good for tummy, so picked them up at the healthy foods store. Just a little really transforms the taste of my greens smoothie, but it's fine - the worst that can happen with that smoothie is that it tastes like the banana, so this is not a bad addition. Will try them in salad tomorrow.

Happened to look back to some of the longest-ago H and F posts here. We were often into trying to have food logs and post here. That was good. Although I smiled to "hear" myself mention God-made foods often, it was eye-opening to me some of the other foods I was perfectly happy to brag about having. Hmmm... Less calories equaled "good" for me sometimes. I'm so glad I'm more persnickety now!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:20 am

Kathryn - Could you start with carrying 10 lbs of something for an hour or so every day. Maybe a sack of flour? That would strengthen your arm and back muscles to hold your new Grandchild. Maybe placing the 10 lbs in same positions of a baby ....like bending over a crib and pick it up and put it down repeatedly. I remember how tired my arms got from holding LO for hours when he was a baby.

I am doing well in some areas of health & fitness however the scales are still hanging in the same 5 lb range. I NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT. I am no longer binge eating which greatly relieves me. I feel great 99% of the time. No pain and full of energy from morning to night. But I NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT. i can stay up with the little ones and go non-stop from activity to activity day after day. But I NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT. I can pick up DGD4 at 46 lbs and carry her "dead weight" aka no help from her. I am pleased with my strength. But I NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT.

I am currently having success in these areas (I know this can change in a single day if I remove my focus)
** Walking the track (30 minutes of sustained exercise) = 67 consecutive days
** Over 10K steps = 17 consecutive days
** Sleep 7 hours = 8 consecutive days

What I am working on -
** Eating 3 vegetable servings daily
** Eating 3 dairy servings daily
** Eating 2 tsp healthy oil daily
** Tracking my food (calories/nutrition)
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:43 am

LadyM: why do you think you need to lose weight? You've just listed all the things I want for myself to be fit and healthy. Since I don't intend to start raising little children in order to get fit, I've made weight-loss the keystone of achieving what you have achieved without weight loss.

Shoulders are extremely sore today. I used my walking poles on Sunday so thought they might be sore yesterday. Apparently there was a delay of a day this time. A few of my stretches also use the arms for balance but I'd be surprised if they caused this discomfort, so it is likely the poles. Will take them with me when I go out today in order to keep working on them.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:09 am

I, too, was thinking there are certainly ways of gaining strength that don't require equipment outside the home. Of course my mind goes to DVDs, since video exercise is the norm for me. I don't know that a person can learn yoga using DVDs but their popularity would suggest it. I believe it was Ken in Canada who appreciated a doorway lat pull bar.

LadyM, I was so impressed with what you said about sleep improving - that will carry over into the rest of what you need. Great job on all. Kathryn makes a good point to remember that many times we think/say the phrase "lose weight" when what we really want is to trim up, cinch in, become fitter, and forget where we put the scale. Of course, getting in to clothes can be a stickler, even then (smile).

LadyM, I, too, am "still waiting" somewhat for healthy habits that are bound to have weight loss as a side effect, but do take time. Higher percentage of a plant-based diet for me, the 2 weight loss aspects being 1) that your stomach literally IS more full so that you reach a feeling of fullness more easily, and, 2) that the body has all the micronutrients needed so stops sending hunger signals that a person might meet with the wrong foods.

Both of these are winners for me since they fall into the "no brainer" category, lol - they just happen without monitoring. This has all been very good for me in lots of "non-scale victory" ways, and in fact the scales are more content, too ;) but that part is slower. If the world were not turning around me, with people, events and deadlines, I might just imitate my slim dbil John and some in my church, and go over to "high raw" or vegan for a while, possibly two weeks at a time since I have no health concern like John, and really tackle this slimming thing, but it simply isn't practical in my life. Grateful to God for John's success, though.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:55 am

why do you think you need to lose weight?

Because I trust our family doctor and he gives me "the look" and says "get that weight off".
Because I am fat. That isn't an opinion. It is a fact. I have humps sticky out. My BMI hovers between overweight & Obese
Because my clothes are tight and I don't want to buy bigger.
Because I am setting a bad example for my grandchildren.
Because I have high cholesterol and it might help reduce it. Maybe.
Because I don't like being asked over and over by Mom and brother if I have lost any weight yet. This is their way of "hinting"
Because being overweight is something that bugs me. I don't like that I can't seem to conquer it.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:41 am

Thank you for the answers.

If the doctor is basing his bugging you on medical markers, then it is reasonable. If he is just parroting a line, that's another issue. As someone still under (but barely) the overweight/obese line, I understand how that might weigh (sorry for the pun!) on your mind. On the other hand, if you have muscle (and I'm assuming you do because you can do so much that I can't) that will throw off that point.

I don't think you will set a bad example for your grandchildren being overweight. I do think you will set a bad example for your grandchildren if your diet regularly includes foods that no-one should have. That's trickier. If you are only eating unprocessed foods and no soda and juices (except as weekly or monthly treats), then you shouldn't worry about the example you are setting. You are teaching them to eat healthy foods. But there's a difference between flash frozen vegetables, and frozen vegetables that come in a sauce. One is using technology to keep the most vitamins in freshly harvested food, the other is finding ways of slipping more fat and chemicals into our diet.

At the same time, it is all a complicated balance. I'm fascinated by the looks/comments I get in the elevator as I carry up my Diet Dr. Pepper each day. Soda seems to be billed as some sort of poison these days. Since I do not drink coffee or alcohol (apparently acceptable flavoured beverages), I do my best to ignore that. I do find it unfair that I'm expected to accept that a diet coke with my dinner out is considered poison, limiting me to water, while they get to enjoy the flavour of a wine or beer without anyone yelling at them.

(Yesterday I had someone tell me not to drink Coke, it will kill me. He knows someone now dealing with the health results of drinking Coke. Hmmmm, as opposed to drinking wine or beer where the results are much more often short and long term relationship/health destroyers.)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:36 pm

Tick is off the dog now. We're back from a walk.

Return to “Healthy Habits”