Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2016

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2016

Postby Harriet » Sun May 01, 2016 1:44 pm

Procraftinating
/ proh-kraf-tuh-ney-ting /
adjective
- working on craft projects when you should be doing laundry, or dishes, or picking kids up from school. - Buzzfeed community

Life is a great big canvas. Throw all the paint on it you can! - Danny Kaye

It's wonderful to get back to our Art, Craft and Needlework projects. We should do it as often as we can! However :oops: we do need to make sure we are not taking time from our chores and work. That's where our systems come in.

How do you make time for creative things without allowing the rest of life (like housework) to fall by the wayside? We can all probably use advice on this!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2016

Postby Nancy » Mon May 02, 2016 9:41 am

I am currently working on knitting up a scarf pattern I am trying go learn the pattern & it is going well. Also carding up some Jacob fleece to spin.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed May 11, 2016 9:00 am

I use cards to make sure I'm not neglecting chores before starting the fun stuff! 15s for focus cleaning and declutter, and finishing laundry out to marking a date on my laundry card, etc. THEN I can get to some creativity. Following Nancy in more organizing of creating space these days.

Hoping this will work - the photo is a panoramic shot of the stage at dd's engineering tournament. The 3 young people onstage are teammates from her school, presenting part of their entry. The topic was to design the redevelopment of a street corridor, with construction to start a year or more from now, so competition was fierce because it will become real project. Dept of Transportation officials and municipal folks were present.

Dd has been the unofficial artist for her school's engineering academy for several years and her logo design flanked the presenters on both sides of the stage at a size of 11 feet by 6 feet each while they spoke. The design probably doesn't make much sense without knowing the street and the idea of the changes officials want, etc., but it did go along with the project concept well. Ultimately, their team won second place. Very proud of all of them. My personal belief is that the team that gave the most attention to a tight budget, thrifty use of materials, was the one that won, and that's probably as it should be.

EngineeringLogo2016small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed May 11, 2016 9:58 am

I am pleased with the results of my scarf. Worked on putting some order back in to the creativity room. One of the projects I started I realzed I did not gave enough yarn for so I took it out I need to rethink this one. Another on I do not love might be going to the thrift shoppe taking time to consider the ufo's I have here.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu May 12, 2016 8:48 pm

Dd bought the last skein of Blissful "Tapestry" by Bernat yarn at the sale at Hancock's today. Back home I looked it up and she seems to have gotten it for about half price, plus there was no shipping. It will be a very nubby and unusual yarn to take to her teacher of her Craft and Design class, and she will have it in-hand tomorrow, so she thinks teacher will be pleased. She found another couple skeins that were more simple.

I found a ribbon that is of the exact print as my jigsaw puzzle fabric I used for the back of dd36's bookmark. Somehow, I think this is a real find - just don't know how yet! Somehow, I'd like to use the two together. Also bought some helpful jewelry findings.

Dd was wishing for some different top to wear, and I let her go through my closet. She happened upon a safari-animal-print top I made and just loves it. This is certainly not new, and is actually made from cotton fabric found at the quilt store, but it is summery and I'm glad it can be put to a new use. My complaint was that I didn't make it long enough to suit me, but she sees this as a plus, stylish.

Return to “The Creative Home”