The Productive Backyard 2016

A place to share garden and outdoor spaces plans and activities.
Twins' Mom

Re: The Productive Backyard 2016

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:23 pm

I also have small green tomatoes - I got them out late so they have lagged behind. Looks like dneighbor already has a red tomato! My basil next to the tomatoes is going great guns, but the first one I put out is getting overwhelmed by the garden sage in the same container. I got it last year as a "seat favor" at a fundraiser and it's turned into a monster. Also have rosemary, mint and oregano going.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:00 am

Great news here one hen that stopoed laying must have been molting has restarted laying again yea! So happy about this.

Also one tomato is turning red, and one apricot is turning golden only one on that tree. :roll: apples are turning red, wormy but great hen food.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:47 pm

I have 6 adult hens got 6 eggs today. 8 young ones not laying yet.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:54 pm

Lots of tomatoes but still green.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:57 pm

This is a little farmyard I admire, on a continuous live stream with their web cam. You scroll down, and sometimes can click directly in the screen to view, but sometimes must click on words beneath the screen that say you want to view the animals.

Flying Skunk Farm

Someone has worked hard to make their farmyard interesting for the animals and for the webcam, so it's fun to look for the various surprises in the yard. Goats, geese, ducks, chickens. Enough roosters to insure the audio stays interesting, too.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:18 pm

Chickens make at least 30 different sounds, including “cluck,” “pok,” “brawk” and “squawk,” each with its own translation.

They make different sounds for attention, food, warning about predators (even distinguishing between flying or ground-based predators) and more. Chickens have a complex language. - Karen Becker, DVM

Return to “Outdoor Spaces and Gardens”