Art, Craft and Needlework, September 2016

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, September 2016

Postby Harriet » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:16 pm

From Sept 1, there are 115 days until Christmas. :)
Just thought I'd throw that out there! :shock:

August was a quiet month - perhaps the calm before the storm of activity getting ready for holidays?

BookSaver taught the use of the edge-joining foot at the educational program of her sewing group.
Sadie taught her ddil to crochet. Sadie will be crocheting three baby blankets.
Nancy has been gathering fat quarters for a project and cutting paper crafts.
Harriet learned to make strawberry roses, & draw/write on a cake with melted semi-sweet morsels.
photos last month were not of the cake - perhaps they should have been, hmmm... .. but of dd's drawings.

Have you got BIG plans? HIGH hopes? :D Do tell! Is September going to get you closer to a creative, hand-done holiday season?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, September 2016

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:21 pm

Sewing up lined fabric bags is proving to be a challenge but I am learning as I go. I have three attempts that are useable not perfect ones but of practice fabric. At some point I want to do some from what I have woven.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:48 pm

Two more bags done. One in half width to practice the lining & casing for draw string method that turned out well. Yea! One had inside pockets, I like out side pockets so that is next. Then maybe a crayon or colored pencil roll.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:13 pm

I have finished the cow jumped over the moon print fabric lined bags. Next up yellow bird print and yellow for the lining on these.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:52 pm

Nancy ~ It sounds like you have found some really cute fabrics.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:15 pm

An idea we kicked around at work today:
Display of several Christmas trees in the library decorated by local organizations.
Possible contest -- the public can vote for their favorite tree, and the winner will be announced by TinyTown Mayor at the Main Street holiday fair in mid-December?

I would like to partner with TinyTown Parks & Recreation Dept since they are the ones who organize said Main Street holiday fair. I'm hoping they have the budget to buy 6 or 7 small artificial trees.

Coworker suggested 1 tree be decorated with donated hats & mittens which would then be given to the schools for any child who needs them, or to a homeless shelter. I told her I loved that idea for a tree the library volunteer group could do -- especially because it would mean
1) giving back to the community that has generously donated to our library construction project;
2) I would not have to try to wrangle the library volunteers to agree on a theme for decorations, nor convince them to pay for decorations;
3) We wouldn't have decorations to store afterwards;

and best of all --

4) I've already been talking to our other coworker about teaching a free class for how to use a knitting loom to make hats. She has been making hats for her church to give away for years. I told her how much fun my cat mat sewing day in the library had been, with positive feedback from library patrons who enjoyed watching. I know we could get people interested in a free class, especially with a goal of making hats & scarves to decorate a library tree and then give away.

I love it when projects intertwine and publicize each other! 8-)

Coworker and I scheduled the date for the knitting class -- October 29th.
I will make up a flyer for the class.
I need to find out if she already has enough yarn, or if I need to ask for donations. Also need to look into what size loom she uses. Maybe we can find some at thrift stores.

We will need permission from the library board of trustees to do the decorated tree project. My boss added the request to the agenda for their meeting on Monday.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:11 pm

I have gotten the draw string bags figured out next tote bags with handles watched on U-tube a tutirial on how to make a tote of 3 tea towels.so will try that with other fabric.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:30 am

I am thinking how I can use milk jugs for totes covered with fabric putting the part w out the handle to make it stiff and water proof like for going to the a spa or hot tub or pool.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:58 pm

So I drag this stick home it is more like a branch, from a walk it is like 4" in diameter in spots. I am thinking I that want to make another walking stick with it. So I peel the bark off of it last weekend. Get the knot. Smoother and work on getting this shaped up for walking hoping it is going to dry out enough so that it will not be overly heavy.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:27 pm

Ack wood working is hard on my hands! Done with that.

I have another batch of bags done dog prints some have paw prints others have words like arf woof etc in various colors yes these are fun! I am getting some ideas on some diff closures and uses, pet org. Is having a fund raiser in a week or two so I am trying to get the dog ones done a bit under the gun here. These are some prototypes getting a test run today and a tweak or two.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Creative Home”