Health and Fitness, September, 2016

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, September, 2016

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:21 pm

On my bday I actually had peach crisp. :mrgreen: I raked up more moss & stuff from yd work today for some of my arm work out. More clean up on the patio and deck sweeping. I finished mopping upstairs. Walked the ddog also.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:30 am

Harriet
buckwheat four is nice and dense, makes things a little chewy, and still needs a lighter flour to soften it. For gluten free I use rice flour - white or brown, or maize corn flour, or tapioca flour in the mix. About half and half.
buckwheat in an eggy impossible pie is nice (there is also veg and bacon/ham whatever in the mix, with milk, baked in the oven til set.) Buckwheat ends up a little crusty on the top.
quinoa flour is about the same amount protein, but is softer.

My task is to get regular with 3 meals daily again. The can't be bothered need to leave my mindset. It leads to wacko eating down the track.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:04 am

Lynlee: I'll have to look up the eggy impossible pie. I make the Bisquick impossible pie but because that has Bisquick in it, it obviously has wheat flour. It seems to me that this is a recipe where putting in a non-wheat flour should obviously work. Brownies are another (just a little bit of flour to begin with in the recipe), corn bread is a third (my corn bread recipe just calls for 1/4 cup of flour.)

I actually finished yesterday below my calorie allotment but weight is up today. That I expected if only because my muscles are hoarding water to repair themselves after yesterday's workout. I feel achy, like I have the flu.

Today will be a treadmill day since the weather is miserable (hot and muggy and raining and little breeze.)

Last night after the upsets over the emails I went to clean up the kitchen (which dh had left for 'later') but he insisted on cleaning up and I was too upset to sit or do anything non-physical so I went to the grocery store.

It was spitting when I got outside but the weather report said just light showers when I stopped and checked. It was wrong. The tap was turned on when I was 3/4 of the way there so I ended up jogging the rest of the way so as to avoid being completely soaked.

I wandered the whole store allowing myself to choose anything as long as no wheat and no aspartame or HFCS. Ended up with 3/4 of a pound of cut melon, some Special K chips and a piece of bitter chocolate, washed down with Perrier. Sat upstairs in their eating area and read a book I had pulled off the exchange bookshelf before I left the building.

Just added all that into MFP for yesterday and I was still under for my calories for the day. So I survived that meltdown.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:35 am

eggy impossible pie is just my descriptor Kathryn. I forget its name now. I Suggest just using whatever flour that suits you as a substitute.

Remember rice flour is not such a good starch unless you have protein/fats/spices in the mix/meal to slow down the sugar uptake and letdown...
Like RRose I try not to have added sugar to anything, if I want my wits about me. The taste of sugar is an enemy for me too as it awakens my tastebuds to sweet cravings.

I make up recipes, aiming at right consistency mostly, substituting allowed ingredients for what is normally used. Having a bit of an idea of ratios of ingredients is a help. GF flour can behave differently though, in how it responds to fluids, so as mixed batter sits in a bowl it can thicken, or not. Its all an experiment here.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:11 pm

I walked the ddog saw 4 deer three had horns! :mrgreen: For cooking yesterday being out of muffin mix we cleaned an acorn squash and baked it. (Trying to cook heathier things when prekkid is here.) That was a hit.
Did another half mi. w ddog & child I watch.
I detest buckwheat flour.
Feeling a bit stuck today I need a plan for dinner that involves cooked squash.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:36 pm

Big check markbeside buckwheat flour for me. I'm very pleased, both with the nice pancakes yesterday breakfast, and with the appetite suppression the rest of day. I didn't even know buckwheat is somewhat famous for appetite suppression. :idea: But I didn't feel hungry in the least at lunchtime, so thought I'd have a very late lunch, and could hardly work up enthusiasm for that! Looked it up and there's lots to read about this very good bonus to buckwheat flour. I wasn't just imagining.

I want to find a buckwheat muffin recipe. I think HRH would be happier. He says he can't help but feel he's missing something since he doesn't have syrup on pancakes any more.

R Simmons STT Oldies 3 is out of my system. :lol: I waste too much time stopping and standing there, amazed at the moves that are just too silly looking to keep following! I fear that for the 3rd one they used all the moves that didn't make the cut for the 2nd. Form seems to be forgotten.

9 veggies/fruits Tuesday but yesterday I slipped to 6. Something to think about when there's not much appetite might be snacking on cucumber strips or other light veggie.

Water is better, with bright rubber bands around my glass to jog my memory.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:26 pm

Do ya'll ever eat watercress? Was able to add watercress to my greens smoothie today. "Live watercress" for $2 at healthy foods store, bagged with the root ball intact. Interesting. I knew I must have had it before but until I opened this package and tasted I couldn't have remembered the specific taste. Lucy Ricardo and Ethel Mertz used to talk about having it in little sandwiches!

So pleased with today's eating I thought I'd post it
Saturday, September 10 – 6 veggies, 3 fruits = 9 (some cruciferous = 10)
banana, homemade blueberry muffin, 1 oven french fry, one-egg omelet with Hen of the Woods mushrooms Red Onion and spinach, greens smoothie with kale watercress and microgreens, homemade bean soup, pasta with bell pepper, small pudding

I can't remember which author I read who said that if some of your veggies are cruciferous, count it nutritionally as one additional veggie, but I like the idea! Kale and watercress today.

The muffin was made by dsecondmil, baking when we arrived. The recipe was called "Healthy Muffins" and she showed the clipping to me. I was hopeful it might be a keeper. Um... ... not very healthy. A cup of sugar for the dozen muffins. Ordinary flour. I suppose it was called "healthy" because it had berries and the berries are healthy? How can some magazine print that name as though they're really offering something better to their readers? Misleading. I just complimented the taste and otherwise kept my mouth shut to her, though. She froze the rest in single portions for one a day, which is pretty smart.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:36 am

W mart no longer had jiffy muffin mixes I use.
Ex today un loading truck & utility trailer of tree limbs.

Walked ddog at the park and dock. Before
lunch. Regular route after dinner.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:41 am

I'm upset with dh at the moment although it is really me who deserves blame equally.

My weight is up 3lbs this morning after not weighing all weekend.

We ate out again last night.

So I had yogurt for breakfast then out with dd for cupcake and lunch on Saturday (although tried to keep the buffet to mostly healthy foods that I don't normally have at home therefore quiche and sausages, sweet potatoes, huge serving of fruit salad because we can't have melon here.) Saturday night was the regular pub but one fajita less than usual due to being stuffed and another few bites of dessert (shared with dh.)

Sunday morning was cereal for breakfast, then coffee hour treats, then chili and bun, then instead of using a few of the veggies that have filled our fridge to overflowing, along with a cooked chicken from the store, dh asked for McD. Which meant 1) no walk to the store and 2) McD. I had a quarter pounder, no cheese, lots of veggies plus salad and shared 1/4 of dh's large fries so I tried but it isn't the same as having chicken and lots of fresh garden veggies.

We out far too much (Lucylee will understand) and after a while it gets hard to choose the one or two things that may be good. In Canada we don't require nutrition breakdown to be readily available but I know that many things that are 'healthy' are bad, such as chef salads compared to having a steak and veggies at certain restaurants. Yet, you go for the healthy and then are presented with something that is obviously not low-cal.

I noted that at Denny's the healthy choice breakfast were over 500 calories. I don't want to think what their regular breakfasts are!

Anyway, I think I'm going to have to put my foot down and say no more eating out for the rest of the month except for Saturday night. Except I have to start that after tomorrow since we have a charity breakfast in the morning and I have dinner out in the evening for Presbytery. Oh, and we are going away on Saturday so that's dinner, breakfast and lunch the following day.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:42 am

In the meantime, I have no room in my fridge because it is jammed full of veggies that need processing.

Return to “Healthy Habits”