Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2016

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2016

Postby Harriet » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:47 pm

Are you planning gift-giving, or making holiday decor? Are you decorating attractively (or scarily) for trick-or-treaters and family gatherings?

BookSaver has been planning crafty library events like a yarn hat-making class and decor-contest trees.
Harmony has been refinishing furniture. She's sanding, and soon putting on the finish.
Harriet has been organizing sewing supplies and materials.
Nancy has been making fabric bags for gifts and donation. She's working in fall colors now.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2016

Postby Nancy » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:37 pm

Fall color bags are done now trying to finish up the ones for gift giving blue , red & green.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:31 pm

Results of sewing day camp Thursday & Friday: I had even less time to sew than expected because I ended up with extra duties and an extra-long meeting in the middle of the first day, but I did make a little progress on projects.

1) Cut out a wallet with lots of small pieces (multiple pockets). Ironed fusible stabilizer on the pieces that needed it. Sewed the section with credit card pockets, then had to stop for a meeting.

* I tried to get back to sewing the wallet Friday morning, but discovered that in trying to be efficient and tidy, I had put a necessary piece in the bag with fabric scraps that I had taken home Thursday afternoon. :? :|

2) I had bought a pattern for slacks that was highly recommended by several people. Unfortunately, the pattern is not printed in a large enough size for me. Friday morning I redrafted the pattern to my size and cut it out of cotton fabric for a first test. Set them aside and did not have time to start sewing them. If they fit at all, the cotton fabric will work for pajama pants. If the style works, I will buy some nice fabric for the "real" pair.

3) Pulled out previously-cut pieces for a knit top and sewed half of it before interrupted again.

4) Wanted to cut out another top but too many people needed to use the cutting tables. Alas.

So ... I did not finish a single project, but I am content that I made enough progress on all projects that they will be easy to pick up and continue whenever I have time to sew at home.

The socializing at day camp/retreat is always the most important part. We don't get much chance at the regular monthly meetings to just sit and chat with friends. The small group of members that attended this day camp are the core group of regulars that attend every event. No drama, very supportive of each other. Love them all. I wish I could have had more time with them, but I couldn't get out of the 2-hour meeting nor my work shift on Thursday.

Hopefully I'll have better luck with time at the spring day camp. And I'll remember my mistake and not be so quick to tidy up as I go or take home extra fabric until the project is totally finished! :)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:00 am

BookSaver, even when you do not have a lot of luck, you still have enough accomplishments to number! How cool is that. I didn't know you were considering a wallet - that should be interesting! (I admit I am thinking about it being both 3-dimensional AND very small, so I'm wondering if it's tedious?) Best wishes on the re-made pattern.

I am hemming pants.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:21 am

I am writing half way done with the dog log for last yr. Other craft projects are nearly done for holiday gifting so are on hold for a bit.

At guild mtg. This wk I got draw strings in the small bags I had finished I just need to tie them and melt the ends to prevent fraying.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:21 pm

This was written by Sandra Hatch, for the website Annie's Craft

"WIP"

Jeanne writes: "UFOs -- I used the term for many years and then decided that I like a cup half empty or half full. I changed what I call my vast collections of projects to WIP -- Works in Progress. Whether they be partially pieced, waiting for borders or binding or everything I need for a project in a container, my cup is half-full."

I like Jeanne's way of thinking. UFOs has that half-empty kind of feel -- a project that might (but probably won't) get finished. WIP gives the feeling that any day now, the project might get done. I now have a few WIP myself. Thanks for the new direction, Jeanne.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:42 am

I've dropped out of stamp club for the next round. I haven't had (made?) time to stamp since early in the summer, I think, yet was committed through the club to purchase a minimum amount per month.

I'd like to head up stairs and stamp a bit - feeling the need to be creative - but not sure when or how.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:02 pm

I have two more larger tote size bags sewn up and ready for the draw strings now.

Got the draw strings in those bags last night. Today I fuzed those ends and the others that needed it as well I lit a candle to save on matches bc I had so many to do.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:48 pm

Twins' sometimes committing to a group does kinda light a fire under us and get us back into the fun when it's shared. Hope you find time for enjoyment. Your cards are always so attractive.

Nancy, speaking of lighting a fire! :D Candle was smart. I can't believe how far along you are on all the bags. You are really moving.

Our green-eyed boy5's Halloween costume is done. Took me 2 hours this evening. Plain dark blue (very small ! ) shirt required 4 thick (very big ! ) patches sewn on, to be a police officer. That was a puzzle. I sewed on the back rectangle "POLICE" rather easily. Then changed thread color on the machine to sew on the front badge/emblem in an unusual shape.

Back to black thread, I pondered those little sleeves. They were so small I was thinking I might have to undo seams and resew after attaching the patches. But when I got the free-arm ready, they did just barely fit onto it, so I decided to try. The thick rectangular patches made it hard but it worked. In free-arm mode, my machine won't sit in my cabinet, and there was no time to set up a table, so I quickly carried it to the kitchen beside a handy outlet and worked standing up. For each sleeve, I would sew normally along one side of a patch, then one-stitch-at-a-time sideways across the next edge, lifting pressure foot after each stitch. Then take it off the machine, turn it around on the free-arm and do the other two sides.

Happy moment when I had finished just before his bedtime and he came over in pajamas to claim his finished costume.

He's so relieved to know he's ready for tomorrow morning. I don't know why his little school is doing Halloween tomorrow - maybe they are a 4-day? That might be it. I think his parents were caught off-guard.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:30 am

I am paper crafting now to learn how to make incerts for bags for holiday gifting! I learned how to make a pocket folder for my travelers note book. A whole new way to track stuff. Hoping to make some covers up but that may not be for this year. H gets em free at work in a small size so will use those but they do not get em till Dec. I need to figure out how to get them to be stiffer.

Return to “The Creative Home”