Declutter Strategy Meeting, January 2017

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

Declutter Strategy Meeting, January 2017

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:57 am

See you all back here in January! :mrgreen: - Dove

Do you sometimes think of your friends here, decluttering and having the same difficulties and successes you have? This thread can be a meeting place to see what each one is doing, and where and how they're doing it. We're bound to encourage each other when we meet and discuss strategy!

What's your strategy? Here's a strategy brain teaser:

On the first day of January, 2017, a bright and helpful professional organizer mistakes your house for her new client's while you are away. Believing she is invited, she tours your home and makes all her notes on a clipboard before you get back to inform her ... ... she's at the wrong place! :oops: Embarrassed, she insists you take her gift of the clipboard, with its advice and order of priorities made just for you, then rushes off in search of the right house.

Now, envision that you hold in your hand the impressions and strategy of this helpful person as she took a good look at your home. Go ahead - take a peek. What changes did she advise? What did she assume you would want to work on with her? In what order did she want to start working?

While you mentally flip through the pages on that clipboard, if you're surprised to find you have a pretty good idea what's there... ...here's something to remember. You are the true expert on your home, and on that subject there is really no one as knowledgeable as you! You are also the expert on your needs and dreams. Here's a new month and year ahead with plenty of opportunity for creating order. How will you use the month of January and year of 2017 to clear and organize your surroundings?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Declutter Strategy Meeting, January 2017

Postby Nancy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:28 pm

I got some ideas on paper on this topic, the sewing zone still needs attn. Holiday storage zone is right behind the sewing zone.

Family dinner celebration at noon so that is as far as I got with it.

I did reclaim the kitchen and spiffed the bathroom.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:00 am

Good job, Nancy. I also got my declutter lined up on paper (card :) ) with my cleaning. I'll declutter each during the week before the Focus cleaning for that area, but it doesn't have to be perfectly in order.

So I've got Bedroom, Bathrooms, Office and Closets for January. If I do some in a different area than the exact week I expect, I can still record on the card that I did it.

Still have the bubble-in card-sized form from last year - works fine for the cost of a card.

Working in my planner (engagement - 6-inch by 8-inch spiral) is a form of decluttering, too! Making sure things are off my mind and down in writing, if I will just remember to keep it on TOP of the mess on the desk and keep turning pages all year! :roll: (Also, maybe dealing with the mess on the desk!)

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:08 am

That's such a neat idea, Harriet! I'd never thought of it that way before. Hmmmm....the ideas are brewing, so I'll let them simmer overnight, and make some notes of my own tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration!
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:51 pm

bittersweet, I do like the idea, too. It's good to shake my thinking up and take a look through "someone else's eyes". As long as it doesn't really happen!!! :o

I think I know what would be on "my" clipboard. She would write,
"front rooms look good but WHAT happens when you turn the corner around to the desk/office. Also WHAT is the thinking about the art/craft area and supplies. Has something gone wrong? Do you need counseling in the wake of a natural disaster?"

LOL! No, seriously, I'm sure a pro would sit me down and talk about office stuff, paper tiger stuff. I believe that would be the first line of defense a pro would want for me.

Desk is bad. You know how bad you are thinking it is right now? No. It's worse.

She might frown at kitchen not being clear enough, and I would quickly make the excuse that I DID work on the under-sink cabinet right before Christmas and there's actually less visible clutter now than then. Hmmm... ... sounds weak, huh? :)

Continuing to get tree ornaments put away today. That's firmly within the "entry" work, but I had intended to move on to "bedroom" so I'll double-up some. A whole lot was done for bedroom right before Christmas with dd36's family needing to stay there, so I don't feel behind.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:04 am

Yesterday I put away the Christmas decorations inside and outside, which was to organize the bins and big plastic bag and get it all up on top shelf in inside closet and garage shelves. I had a thought that I am very grateful that I decuttered and down-sized all the decorations I used to put out. This year I could have used all the china houses, the village I used to put up because some of my stuff is over at 2H and I have several very noticeable bare spots. But when I had to pack it all up I was glad I didn't have more. Really, do y'all ever miss anything you got rid of?

I used to think about 2 tiny things I don't have any more, but I don't think much about that any more. And one thing I donated I later found out one of my DD's would have used. But in the long run, I'm sure all the decluttering I do and have done has been very beneficial to both of us.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:36 am

I have reclaimed two rooms 1 in the basement the other in the back of the house I need to pay attn to the main living area of the house next.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:18 pm

cheering as you all work!

I haven't been here in so long and I feel buried by clutter.
I did go through car and dh went through dd youngers care even though it's freezing here.
I also went through paperwork and tossed. paper challenge last year helped me a lot!!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:05 am

My "bright and helpful professional organizer" must not have gotten here; I still have ambitions of doing the list for her....
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:24 pm

out of here: one bedspread and one afghan

ready to go: 2 shirts and one sweater, 2 picture frames, old rusty spoons, 8 dinner plates (too big for dishwasher), 4 Santa mugs, 3 Santa ornaments

One thank you note in mailbox. Library books ready to return.

Now if only I can attack and organize the pile of paper on my desk. Most of it is filing. Will try TWINS strategy of 10 pieces per day.

Waving to all!
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”