Health and Fitness, February, 2017

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, February, 2017

Postby Harriet » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:24 pm

Welcome! Please come in and chat with us here about gaining and maintaining good health, strength and stamina. First, because we are worth it! And also because it prepares us every day to meet the challenges of our wonderful calling, homemaking.

How did January treat you? Were you able to continue successes, did you face any new obstacles or think of bright tips? Do tell!

What do you need from February? Starting a new month reminds us that each month brings a new opportunity for fresh starts in any area that may benefit us. That may be something we are DOING (exercise, water), something we are NOT DOING (desserts, sodas, late nights) or something we are RECORDING (calendar, planner, cards, apps!).

Is there a goal you want to report or a problem you want to share for tips or ideas? We hope you'll post with us!

Twins' Mom

Re: Health and Fitness, February, 2017

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:14 am

I need a February re-start! I had a run of 30 days of recording my weight consistently. Didn't drop below that number with a zero on the end - I'm constantly fighting in a range just above. I dropped below three isolate days in Oct and once in Nov and again this morning. Not sure what that's about for this morning but I'll take it.

I'd like to get consistent walking again and I'd like to start a morning yoga/stretching routine. But I have a cold right now and my motivation is low. Hoping I can get over the cold and keep the "beginning of the month start over" feeling.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:57 am

My exercise this mo. So far...
Stat. Bike x
Gazelle x while I did this I watched a painting show on netflicks it was very plesant. Gazelle time done today, I am watching a movie in segments of my gazelle time this week.

Raking yard moving leaves.
Walk w kidN to see the view & horses up the road.
Walk ddog at the park by the river to see ice jam floating away historic have not seen this kind of ice in 30 years.
Walked ddog on our regular walking route.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:19 am, edited 5 times in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:58 am

Twins' Mom, congrats on this morning! Yep, as soon as you get over the cold you'll have a better start. Good luck!

I ended January with all 24 checkmarks for Tuesday the 31st checked. A perfect day, although the only one in the month. That's okay, I'll try for "most improved" later. :)

January treated me well, I think. Regained my progress on the scale without doing anything special beyond the usual tracking of nutrition. Found a customize-able online menu plan page and figured out a good basic rotation of 7 meals for each of B,L and Suppers. Found a couple really good new foods we are enjoying, such as wild rices. Learned more about the Instant Pot, which is nice. It's helpful and pleasant to use, but maybe not the fabulous help some find it is. Of course, I'm still learning.

As far as what I need from February, I wouldn't mind if weight keeps heading down some. The water consumption is being neglected a bit - I'm sure it's because the temps are cold, but I'd like to start remembering that better. There are butternut squashes in the stores, and I'd said in the What's for Supper thread that I'd like to learn to use some in recipes. blessed has a recipe there that sounds good.

Nancy, yes I'll do just as well without the gifted stationary bicycle taking up space. You're right, Tapping is a good alternative, and takes no space except a small box for DVDs. In fact I did that last evening. A cousin came and got dsecondmil's bicycle from her instead, and it's better off at their house - she has more space and says both she and her dh will use it, plus her mother when she visits.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:49 pm

I just need a redo, but cant start yet. Relapsed and then came down with a terrible cold. On second run of antibiotics, steroids and an inhaler. Gained 9 lbs due to the steriods...and now on a second round. Hate to think of any more weight being added on, but know it can happen. Very little activity for the past month due to being so ill off and on since right after Cmas...and won't get much done in this next week.

Did get 10k steps in today and 3 miles on my gazelle. Its a start. Won't start back with my cross fit till after Feb.22 as I will be leaving for Fla on Feb 15 for a week with my best friend and my future DIL's wedding shower.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:26 pm

I hadn't responded here but other places, but was of course so sorry to hear about your continuing struggles, Ramblin'. I hope you get this figured out soon.

HRH has been walking almost daily. That's very cool, but not for me. He does have to deal with the cold wind. That is by far the main reason I have no intention of going with him these windy or cold times. My ears just can't take it. Or maybe my sinuses - all of the above. I know that just covering my ears is not enough protection.

Wanted to be down at my low weight this weekend since we'll have houseguests. Right now that looks like a tall order. I did think of a smart thing to do to call/email dd and ask what's a meal their family would really like - or more likely what is a list of possibilities. All of us just don't eat the same things of course and there are varied health reasons for a lot of that. If I had some things to shoot for ahead of time, that would be great. On a less important note, some of her children will eat adventurously and some won't.

WonderBoy and BabyC - interestingly the two second-born children - are by far my most adventurous eaters. BabyC discovered oranges here and we had to chase her around with a napkin trying to keep it from dripping down her chin - she thought we might take it away, so she ran. WonderBoy sees a new veggie or fruit and immediately likes it at first sight - he always believes they are good unless proven otherwise, not the other way around. Kiwi discovery was fun with him!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:47 pm

For exercise I raked leaves and put them out back plus I shopped and walked it was a lovely sunny day.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:30 pm

Sat. Yard work was my exercise I raked leaves along one fence line in the back yard in the morning, hubby grilled up lunch & then we hauled off to eco with the pick up and trailer. More to do.

Mon. My exercise was a walk and doing some yard work some more clean up of this project.

Return to “Healthy Habits”