What's for Dinner?

Share recipes, menus, and kitchen hints.
blessedw2

Re: What's for Dinner?

Postby blessedw2 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:10 am

lunch today: left over greek salad - and baked greek tofu was really good - added brown rice I had made before.

dinner:had to toss the chicken I took out of the freezer... they had been in the freezer too long :?

Tuesday: stopped by Foodstuffs and bought dh already made salmon

will make Wednesday dh/dd older/ me love when I have dd's coming for dinner pulled a recipe out of essential pepin: kiev type stuffed chicken page 256/257 (not a big butter dish has 2 t butter (but may lower that) - lower fat) stuffed with mushrooms, onions, bread, cilantro, garlic
coating bread crumbs fresh, cilantro s/p/ egg for dipping
I haven't made it before. It's strange but the less meat I eat; the less I want to have and most times not at all. I do feel better.
Peas a la Française page 448: boston lettuce, pearl onions, peas, herbes de provence

dd took me out to dinner last night (may 1) so pushing this to day
-----------------------------

dinner Thursday chicken fajitas :
[b] Me: veggie santa fe burger

corn/black bean/etc. salad all of us
I have left over rice/peppers/tomatoes so I will figure it out all of us
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat May 06, 2017 9:15 pm

blessed, that's so cool that you marinate the tofu to infuse with seasoning that will work well in a recipe you're planning.

Typically I'll purchase a block of extra firm tofu and the first time I open/use it I'll blot dry, separate the portion I want, and cut into cubes. The rest I'll store in in a sealed container in the fridge. I'll saute in as little coconut oil as I can manage, drain oil and wipe pan, then let cubes dry on a paper towel while the veggies are water-sauteing in the same pan. I count on a sauce, then, to give flavor and there's a minimum of oil. But I'm going to have to think about the marinating idea - wonder if HRH would get a little inspired to plan that in advance.

At one time I was making chocolate pudding with silken tofu but eventually I began to think I was probably yielding too much to chocolate and haven't done that in a while. If someone else would eat it with me, I'd make it again, but I can't get any interest around here!

For old bananas, btw, I've had good success with slicing into a baggie and freezing on a flat surface (then you can toss the baggie in the freezer just any old way to save space). This is good to use up in smoothies or a few small slices in hot oatmeal. Thanks for reminding of oranges, since that will make a great fruit serving tomorrow here.

I like listing produce on hand to remind yourself. I need to use up kale, bell peppers, carrots, cucumbers and an avocado for sure before they get much farther along! Honestly I believe the rest of the cabbage can be tossed, so I should do that I've admitted it, rather than letting any more time pass.

To list some things I regret not having on hand right now - zucchini, tomatoes. Using up the last of potatoes about now, and of course the household cannot go on without those! HRH wouldn't know what planet we were on!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:05 am

great idea about the bananas! I will do that!
dd younger makes an asian tofu that she bakes. I really like it but have no idea what is in in 8-)

dd younger makes a chocolate pudding w avocado - I have not tried it 8-)

believe it or not I also had to toss a cabbage recently (I don't know why I kept it even though I knew it went bad - food guilt ;) )

I went completely off my diet with dd coming here and my body is paying for it. eating what I want and where I want (restaurants) is not a good idea. my sugars had been so off - I have to go back to limited meat, dairy that I can't do, and back to cooking vegetarian. It's amazing how ones diet can have on ones health.

I don't have any menu planned and that gets me into trouble. so I had time off and now I have to get back to cooking well even though I have been busy. I just have to keep it simple.

talk to you soon d harriet!

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sun May 07, 2017 7:53 pm

Blessedw2 and Harriet, you have been inspiring me to be more creative with meals and to cook more vegetarian dishes. We ate planted-based foods plus dairy and eggs for years and I want to get back to that.
I love tofu and used it right out of the container, but also used to freeze it. Freezing changes the texture, making it more chewy and it also increases its ability to absorb sauces or marinades. Next time I buy tofu I will try freezing it. We just finished a yummy tofu stir fry with lots of veggies and a bit of pasta.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed May 10, 2017 12:13 pm

That's so cool, RunKitty. Someday I'll be able to say "years", too. I can say it now as far as at least one or two meals per day. At the end of this month I'll be able to say "one year" vegetarian (yes, as you said - dairy and egg still a part). I can count on one hand the mix-ups of eating a little before realizing a dish wasn't what I thought.

It seems like I've heard that once about freezing tofu, but I guess it went in one ear and out the other. lol. To know you have used that tip and liked it will probably get me to try it. I have only had one meal of tofu that was truly unpalatable, and that was at a very upscale, urban Thai restaurant where I believe I misunderstood the menu. There's evidently a sophisticated oriental method of preparing it which leaves it cooked but gelatinous. Um.... no. And I've definitely learned that to introduce someone to it, you need to serve it firm. Preferably browned, lol.

Today Curiousity Stream released their first in a four-part series of cooking vegetables as the centerpiece of the meal (with Chef Rich Landau) and why you'd want to do that (Dr. Michael Greger is interviewed), called "Prescription Nutrition Green Revolution". The first will remain free on youtube for a while as a favor to Dr. Greger, but the next three will require at least their trial membership so I probably won't get to those, since I have so much I love to watch already. Don't know. It's 18 minutes and definitely up to their very high standards of film making.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri May 12, 2017 9:10 am

hi d kitty sounds delicious
and hi d harriet! I will look up prescription nutrition! thank you

unfortunately I haven't been cooking because of the decluttering and moving stuff all day. I am tired of it but it I am busy. (but it's not healthy and expensive)

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:07 am

dd younger made alsatian meatballs by rachel khoo the day before yesterday
last night we ate out with d mom
tonight I have a chicken dish I will make for everyone

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:25 pm

finally went to the grocery store with d mom. I am trying to get d mom to come eat dinner at my house as eating out is horrible for me. Maybe she can cook once a week and we have game night at her house.

next Sunday her senior living place is having a luau and we are going
Next saturday we are going out with dh's d sisters/brothers/inlaws to see a comic friend of my d sis in law. Also going out to dinner.

tonight: not good for me but just biting the bullet
brats on grill
tomato salad
french potato salad (my grandmothers with vinegar/oil/dijon/shallot/parsley dressing)
start making dinner at 4:00pm

I did buy everything but lettuce (forgot)

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:49 pm

chicken cacciatore; just cook it. Made wednesday
french bread for family
steamed broccolini maybe with a bit of garlic and olive oil ( not sure)
I invited d mom and she decided to eat at home. The sauce on the chicken was really good.
fresh fruit :arrow:

dd younger is off sailing at 5:30
dd older will be here for a late dinner
(we went out for dinner - dd older and I)
Looking into protein bean or tofu recipes

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:04 pm

thinking of black bean/corn/red onion etc salad tomorrow
maybe - ended up having a fun dinner with d mom on my own - things she shares - oh my gosh - lol - its a french restaurant and the woman (also french) who owns it is just as forward and she is extremely witty - so what my mom said and her response was priceless.

Return to “SHEs in the Kitchen”