Health and Fitness, July, 2017

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, July, 2017

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:21 pm

The 'bread' was ok but not as special as I thought it would be and not really worth the effort. Nutrition-wise, 2 slices of whole wheat bread isn't a whole lot worse and has more protein and fibre and way less fat.

I'm feeling sick now from too much fat. There was a ton of it at dinner since I had butter on my corn tonight (I had been spraying it this week) and the tortiere meatloaf was excellent but I cut too large a piece (180g when 120g would have done)

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:44 am

Hope you are feeling better today d kathryn.

I walked at the gym yesterday - I tried (hard) to talk myself out of it but I did it. I still struggle with eating at night - my best laid plans go out the window (but I don't plan for evening snacks because I get lost somewhere in my morning so it becomes foraging instead- because of laziness, no brain left at night and boredom.

working on self esteem - my morning always are good but I struggle with lack of focus after 1 pm to 5 pm then laziness and boredom takes over after that. working on that

to fix this
one step at a time:
preparing foods in morning. this will be hard but I think I need to have foods by snacks, lunch and dinner

I have to remember this from a study

Individuals who spent the least amount of time on food preparation tended to be working adults who placed a high priority on convenience. Greater amount of time spent on food preparation was associated with indicators of higher diet quality, including significantly more frequent intake of vegetables, salads, fruits, and fruit juices. Spending less than 1 hour/day on food preparation was associated with significantly more money spent on food away from home and more frequent use of fast food restaurants compared to those who spent more time on food preparation.
US National Library of Medicine
National Institutes of Health
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:26 am

bw2, I am realizing that on this way of eating (WOE) I need to plan meals ahead including lunch. I can use a Power shake with fruit and protein as my go-to morning, but I need to plan lunches/dinners too. Ds will eat almost any leftovers that I have in the refrigerator, if I mark them that I need them for a meal he will leave them, but I have to remember to use them then.

For lunch/dinner today I can have leftover fish from last night (restaurant) and from wed night here. (also fish.)
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:21 am

hi d twins.. this is one of the hardest things for me - yes I love to cook but when d mom is in town we eat out a lot so I threw any meal planning out the door. I also never planned for night time which is when I go into foraging mode. When I cook in the fall/winter/spring I tend to go back to the meal and eat more and then go to sleep. That's why I am trying to anticipate evenings. I watch tv another problem instead of read. I let it become a viscous cycle.

positives: I had cut up a bunch of veggies and fruit yesterday (cleaned etc) and went to that instead. My hope is that eventually I can give up foraging in the evening but this is a positive start

I didn't exercise yesterday. I did get house/paperwork done before we left. We didn't get home until 8 pm but I will say it was lots of fun.
Problem: I only wanted one spinach and onion enchilada and the waiter insisted it came with three - but then I ate the whole thing ;) I ordered a side salad instead of the rice and beans (used salsa)

july 25 walked one hour
Last edited by blessedw2 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:44 am

My good habits are slipping. I've had a poor 5 days in a row. My movement has decreased and high fat food increased (along with the calories it brings.)

The tracker fiasco is driving me nuts. I find it motivates me but this tracker app is obviously defective. The tracker corresponded to the fitbit steps but the app reports numbers that the tracker doesn't even display. So I can't trust the communication between the two. That combined with all the other irritants means I need to try and return it today. The problem is partly poor design; there is nothing good about the design choices they made, including making it NOT sweat proof. That combined with the fact the app itself doesn't do a good job reporting/displaying results and it doesn't give me credit for my movement on MyFitnessPal means I can't make a case for keeping it.

But there is no other device on the market so if I return this one, I'm giving up on tracking using a wearable.

Since tracking has been part of successful weight loss for me over the past 3 years (I may be slowly losing weight but I'm down 16 pounds from where I was 3 years ago so that's the right direction) I'm afraid that giving up the tracking will have me give up other healthy habits.

The cell-phone is the only other way to do this so I'll have to buy something to use to wear the phone all the time (I don't have pockets in about 70-80% of my clothes.)

Sigh....

In other news, not my health related but I'll throw it here because I'm worried about it...

Dh has something that looks like a bug bite from a distance on his shin. It looks like a scab in the middle with inflamed skin raggedly radiating out 2 - 3 inches. But it isn't a scab, it is under the skin and he doesn't feel anything - it isn't achy, itchy or hot. It just is. He refuses to put anything on it to try and heal it ("the skin isn't broken therefore nothing will help", "I don't need anything, it doesn't bother me") but it has not healed and dd freaked out about it since Lyme disease doesn't always present as a bulls-eye. The thing is, we don't ever recall a bite and while ticks are a HUGE problem here and at least 30% are carrying Lyme disease, dh has seldom stepped onto grass. We only walk on paved or gravel paths. The only grass he might have stepped on is perhaps at her front lawn and neither of us recall doing so. He did walk across the sand at the beach a couple of times but ticks don't hang in the sand.

Anyway, last Wednesday he went to the clinic at the grocery store but didn't tell me that was his plan when we walked over. It was 3 and they don't open until 4 some days. The next day we were at the picnic (trying to stay on packed down areas because we are all terrified of ticks, public health has done a great job convincing us to stay inside this year.) So, while it was after 4 when we got home, he didn't go because he wanted to get back to work after missing so many hours. The next day he waited until 4 and went over and discovered the clinic was only open in the morning. So he biked up to the ER but that was a 4 hr wait so he came back without seeing anyone but triage.

He has completely failed to read the clinic's sign with the hours. That has me almost more concerned than the rash or whatever it is.

Anyway, he decided to go to our family doctor (40 minutes away) so waited until this morning to phone. He could have gone to the clinic on Saturday but no, he now had a plan in his head and he refuses to change a plan once he has one.

They just called back with an appointment for him, so that's good (except it conflicts with the bbq) but now he wants a doctor in the city because he can't rely on the clinic. Really?! What he really means is he can't rely on himself to read the sign on the door. Or consider going to any one of the other 5 clinics within 15 minutes of our home. (Again, his plan was to go to our clinic and when the ER suggested another clinic, he refused to consider that.)

I don't see how a doctor in the city would help solve this problem about accessing medical care. He could have called our regular doctor and made an appointment at any time over the past 2 weeks but he didn't. Nor did he try to go to a clinic until 10 days after the rash started to worry him. Why would having a doctor closer change that? We are in the building with the clinic at least 4 times a week and walk past it about 6 times a week, and drive past it another 4 times a week. There is no excuse for not stopping in if it was important to dh. He just chose to put this off and is now blaming the clinic as being inconvenient.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:02 am

off track with my walks sore knee. I need to figure out some thing today.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:18 am

I went off the eating track - cheeseburger and fries Tuesday night ( :( ) I should have driven past it. I am in that are twice a year and I stopped bc I had nothing prepared ahead of time)
Yesterday: same but at restaurant (lunch)
yesterday night hamburger meat and noodles :( I had not shopped and did not fix things ahead - and I don't even like beef :(

Move forward - I messed up and I need to put that cholesterol mistake behind me and move forward.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:19 pm

Hydrating worked down one pound docs office said, bp is good, heart is good, got quad & hamstring exercises recomended bc of pulled muscle in leg.

I need to track down wts. not sure I have then here still so may need to check at thrift shop. Also resistance bands too doc. mentioned them as well.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:48 pm

Happy you had such a good visit, Nancy! Hope your leg feels good with the exercises. Yay on that pound!!! Pat yourself on the back.

I neglected those morning stretches a while and can see that I lost some visible (meaning my looks!) headway I was making, especially on the neck area, which was looking better. (crunch-type moves, I suppose, have been beneficial - those that require lifting head and holding it, to "rock" in a crunch position) Thankfully, I can get right back into that routine and know I'll regain that progress. I do see that I have a little mental block about it sometimes and I think it's because some of the other parts of floor workouts may aggravate my hip and thigh. Like Nancy, little bits of weight loss happen for me, on along. I like to think about how each bit lost makes life a little better for my hip. 8-)

((blessed)) It takes time. We are creatures of habit but we still get to pick the habits! The convenience of remembered foods when we are overwhelmed or underplanned ;) gets to everybody! But we TREND toward our hopes! It's the trend that counts - happy for you for each meal that goes as you planned.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:01 pm

Kathryn, I hope your DH figures out what he wants to do. I have to write down appointment times, directions, etc. for DH; I have to carry his medicare and insurance cards. If I didn't he'd never do anything or go anywhere. When he has a problem, as in when his knee gets bad, he tells me to call and make the appointment etc. I hate doing that because if it's inconvenient, or the dr. isn't available, then it's a lot of phone calls back and forth. Maybe you're doing the right thing, letting him decide what to do for himself. Husbands lose the ability to care for themselves once we have taken over that chore for them. Maybe you should just write down the clinic's open/close schedule and leave that on his desk?

I heard on tv one time that Lyme disease is hard to diagnose. I hope that's not what he has.

Return to “Healthy Habits”