Health and Fitness, September 2017

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, September 2017

Postby Harriet » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:44 am

Harmony, HRH says he is very jealous of how easy I had it compared to his colonoscopy. His prep made him so nauseated his dr had him stop before all was taken. I did tell him, yes but you're good for 5 or 10 years and I will be asked to do this every year. He still says it's no contest and when necessary he wants to start this as well. It was my aunt by marriage who had the worst experience we know - a perforation which turned her into a patient over the long haul of the very dr she'd assumed was a once-and-done meeting.

Other than that we don't know anyone who had a difficult time except cost, averaging $3,081 in US. This, unfortunately, may be the reason it's called "the gold standard" of colon cancer screening, since the population studies don't confirm that it reduces the number of deaths to the point it should get that name. It does make the gold go into pockets of medical centers. (Oops, did that high horse pass by here? Did I climb up on that thing again - you'd think I'd get over that.)

Huge difference between my scrumptious whole oatmeal breakfast and the whole multi-grain hot cereal that was recently recommended to me. Great variety in the blend - not pleasant texture. Quick microwave prep, though, so better for a rushed a.m. Maybe I can figure out how to make it tastier. Needs more fruit than I added, maybe.

Tip - this came, as many grains do now, in a cellophane-type bag, which is sturdy until you open and then flimsy as can be. I reused an oatmeal canister to pour it in and store, and just taped the correct pkg info around the canister. Easy peasy.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:06 pm

This is going to seem like a 'vain' question. But do any of you on blood thinners -I take 81mg aspirin and Plavix daily. I get bruising on my hands and arms very easily. Sometimes I can go a while with none and then they just come out of nowhere. Sometimes I know I've bumped or scraped. Last night while I sat in the recliner a large one appeared on my forearm. I don't remember doing anything. Just wondering if there's anything anyone does to reduce the occurrence or to make them look lighter. I sometimes will put a bandaid on just so I don't have to keep seeing it in my line of vision.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:25 pm

I realize I need to keep doing the exercise bike daily to keep my leg & knee limbered up. Also walking. :idea: Sort of a light bulb monent for me.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:04 pm

Dee, the plant arnika comes to mind - topical creams are made from it. There is a cream made from arnika, plus a little bromelain from pineapple and some vitamins. It's marketed as the product "Dermaka". Lots of dr's offices order it for their patients. It's supposedly without side effects and completely safe, but remember, that doesn't mean every dr is going to approve for every patient. I doubt you are supposed to eat pineapple, for instance, so maybe your dr would have a problem with putting it on your skin. He might be too worried patients would get it on an open wound. Don't know.

Anyway, it speeds healing time for bruises. There's a video of the surgeon who developed it on youtube that begins with the words "for clinicians", but even though that one is more for pros, I'd start there finding out about it just to get it straight from a dr's mouth. At about minute 1 he talks about use when you are on anti-coagulants. Also, remember, there's money to be made in this product just like any other. Your dr may have opinions about whether it's worth the money and say buy a more ordinary cream. Sold on A-river, too, so, you know, it's a commercial item. Somebody is making money.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:16 pm

I did my ex. On the stat bike watching planning vids on u tube.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:24 am

My Grandparents and parents have all taken OTC Rutin for decades because of the bruising on their arms/hands. I've heard them recommend it to others several times. I remember Daddy stopped taking Rutin and the bruising on his arms/hands returned so he started taking it again.

I personally have not used or done research on Rutin. I don't know anything other than watching DParents & DGrandparents using it for years.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:13 pm

Dee, my massage therapist recommended the arnica gel when I fell a couple of years ago and had horrible black eye. I don't know that it helped either way, tho.

A very small victory for me to report. As of July 1, my 10 day average weight was xx4.8, as of Aug 1, was xx2.0 and as of Sept 3 (first day I was home to weigh in Sept) was xx0.8 and as of today is xx0.2. Very small weight loss. This WOE (way of eating) is supposed to support slow weight loss.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:02 pm

I took a walk today for my exercise. The winds eased up the smoke a bit and cooled it off.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:09 am

I don't think I have any support at all as far as health goes. I'd mentioned joining the gym down the street, nope no support there. When I did the mall walk every day I was inaccessible because I didn't want to carry my phone along the way, so negative there also. My bike has tires that leak and need filling all the time before we go out so that's not good. I know it is my own responsibility to do what I need regardless of what others think or say, but a little encouragement would make all the difference in the world.

DH cannot take walks because of his bad ankle so I don't even ask. Sometimes I just don't want to go out alone. Drs. do not support anything I've ever said, they're all just pill pushers.

As far as diet goes, DH brings lots of things in all the time and of course I could just leave it alone, if I had some sort of self-control over those sweets sitting on the counter... :roll:

I can tell my strength is less these past months. But on the + side, the lbs. I gained from the stress of this storm are gone. I'm still to heavy, but it was a relief to see this much gone. Amazing how fast it piled on.

I gotta say, though, if one is on an unusual diet, something not the same as most people eat, I think they should provide their own food. We had that lady here over the storm days, and I had thought they were vegetarians. But she does a small version of that; she eats chicken and fish (though she claims it bothers her system) and no beef. So I had beef things ready for us before I knew she was coming and no chicken things; so it was awkward. I think she did nothing but eat hard boiled eggs the whole time. If I am ever in a situation like that where I am the guest I will bring my own food and some to share with others. That seems the most fair.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:51 pm

Harmony, you know we will cheerlead like crazy if that's what you need. I feel a cheer coming on right now, it could burst out at any time. Yes, you need a phone when out walking - maybe any place. Can you figure out how to make a pouch for it that isn't bothersome, or figure out different clothing with a pocket that works better?

Online, I scouted out a 2-mile popular walk at a nearby town. HRH doesn't like it - thinks it's dangerous. I guess sometimes I'd just like to see what others are doing.

Next time I pick dd up, I'll try to schedule a walk with her on campus by parking at the parking deck there. Extremely beautiful area - tough walking as far as hills and traffic around the deck, though. Her housing area is much better, but this year, she's concerned that I should always park in the deck. The campus police are a lot more strict about cars this year and in fact many spaces around her housing that were available for cars last year are forbidden this year. You're just suspicious and unwanted if you drive a car.

Read a great quote about making junk food inconvenient to find, so you'd have to go looking for it.

"Throw or give it away. Make your home a sanctuary for healthful living, and make inconvenience a motivational buffer working for you rather than against you." - Dr. Alan Goldhamer

This from a woman who knows there are Hershey's bars in her freezer and cookies on top of her fridge. (HRH actually says with a straight face that he worries the children won't have something they like, therefore he buys this. :roll: ) Also there are green grapes (children's favorite) in the fridge, too - that's what I'm counting on!

This blood draw's report seems to give reassurance that some oddities of the previous report were temporary. I'd researched some online and thought that might be the case. I went to the Any Blood Test Now location nearest here and spent $40 of my own money, unreimbursed, after just 2 months, rather than wait until a year passed for the sake of insurance. They are a really nice place, clean, neat, professional (the stick could have been a little better, but that's everywhere). They use Lab Corp just like my dr's office. Results to my email in less than 24 hours. Much better than thinking about it for another 10 months.

Return to “Healthy Habits”