Thumbs Up Thursday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harriet

Thumbs Up Thursday

Postby Harriet » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:41 am

To what choices will you give a "thumbs up" today?
Is somone waiting on your approval of one decision or another?

Homemakers tend to have the last word on lots of things (and if they don't, others often look in hindsight and wish they had!) Let's make sure we're not leaving anyone "hanging" when they need our input.

Does someone look to you to make sure you approve of them, and can you give that person a general "thumbs up" today?

CathyS

Re: Thumbs Up Thursday

Postby CathyS » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:54 am

Hi!

I don't know who I can give a thumbs up to personally at the moment. if I praise dh about anything, he tells me to stop. I can give all of you a cyber thumbs up!!

Garbage and recycling are all out. A large bag with burnables is waiting for a day with a lot less wind. It's windy and pouring rain here.

Chicken cacciatore is in the slow cooker for the next 8 hours.

My favourite used book store is having a 2 month $2 hardcover sale and they have added a buy 3, get 1 free paperback sale. I still need to make a list of hardcovers I want/need.

I also need to go to Walmart and Costco today. As of today, our area now has 2 Costcos. A huge one with a gas bar is opening today. They say that the smaller one will be closed eventually. I am going to the smaller one today hoping it won't be crazy busy.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:59 am

I can give all of you a cyber thumbs up!!

Thank you, Cathy! And a THUMBS UP right back at ya!

My day is off to a good start. I walked this morning so had to sit down and let my food stop hurting before continuing with my doings.

DGD6 didn't go home yesterday so she got to sleep 1.5 hours extra this morning. I waited until the last moment (7am) to wake her.

Last night went very well. Although the carrots in the stew weren't as soft as I prefer, otherwise it turned out great. We received many kind compliments on the food. Everyone had plenty to eat with many getting seconds. There was almost nothing left. The leftover stew fit into a coffee cup!
Next week Wednesday night meal is planned and shopping list made. We found 40 hot dog wieners in the church freezer from some event or another so we are going to use them. We will buy more weiners, hot dog buns, a case of individual bags of Frito chips and fixings. DSis volunteered to make 10lbs of chili. So our menu is Hot Dogs and Frito Pies. It is a guess on how much food to fix. I can't remember there being less than 50 people and has been as many as 80. Some weeks almost everyone brings a potluck dish and other weeks almost nothing is brought. So far it has worked out A-okay. Next week we will prepare 80 Hot Dogs and 50 Frito Pies. That will probably be too much ....maybe....depending on how many teenage boys we have. They can put some food away!

Today is another full day
** Homeschool Day #81 (already started)
** DS9 to public school for lunch & recess with his friends. While he has speech class I will do some volunteer work.
** DGD6 to cheerleading practice after school
** DS9 to 4H meeting after school
** Fall Festival at school this evening.
Last edited by LadyMaverick on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:00 am

Interesting start to the day, Harriet. The 'thumbs-up' or positive reinforcement as I think of it, comes up for me on a fairly regular basis as I herd cats in the form of groups trying to work on a project. Often, I wonder if working on my own and dispensing with the whole 'working with others' wouldn't make my life less work!

I've been reviewing Covey's 7 Habits and building up people is part of some of the external habits. I read this book about 15 - 20 years ago so have internalized most of it and it does play a role in my life now. I was reviewing it because it was discussed on one of my favourite podcasts Cortex. While there were bits they liked, they disliked the drawn out story telling, the contrived illustrations, were frustrated that most of the illustrations were about families, not businesses and that a lot of it seemed to obvious although they admitted that since it was a 30 years old book and the first to raise many of the ideas, perhaps it wasn't obvious at the time.

They were basically oblivious to the religious basis of the book (Mormons see even more in it than Christians since many of the expressions used are uncited from the Book of Mormon) and they live individualistic lives therefore didn't find much if any value in the sections about developing good habits when working with people. That I found upsetting but indicative of the younger people I know. In general, they are very much a me-first/only and simply tolerate having to work with others but find no joy in it.

Mind you, I don't always find joy in things but to be honest, I couldn't have done this refugee sponsorship on my own and I know it will spark joy in me when this work pressure is over.

Was awake at 5, because dh was off to catch a train for 6:30. I was out of bed at 6 and then the day went downhill. It is almost 10 and I'm not yet dressed.

I have tested the kettle I scavenged for the refugees. It works very well so I have a kettle for them. A neighbour came by with a french coffee press, glass baking dishes and Pyrex mixing bowls yesterday (she had a stockpot and fry pan the night before that.) My apartment looks like I'm in the process of moving in because random things are in boxes all over the living room and front hall. They will stay there until Monday unless dh helps me move some things on Saturday night. I will take over lamps, toilet paper, soap and paper towels today or tomorrow so things are ready for the cleaning crew on Saturday.

I have to test and clean the toaster oven I have to make sure it works. I don't currently have any pans for it but will keep my eyes out for one when people bring over the small items to donate on Saturday. If the toaster oven won't work for us, I'm giving it to my neighbour who gave me all the other things since she knows someone looking for one because theirs just died.

I've paid the bill that was due yesterday and have some other paperwork stuff to work on. And I need to print off lists since working from a screen isn't working for me. I'm looking forward to having the move over with since I'm tense over this.

I'll try and meditate now, doing that daily is my goal for November.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:13 am

Oooohhh - I love finding new podcast. I started listening to Cortex but had to stop when the cuss words happened. Not PG rated so I'll have to listen with headphones.

Alrighty! My foot has stopped throbbing and the pain has disappeared. It's time to get back on my feet and busy.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:38 am

dd younger tends to put herself on the back burner when others problems are forefront causing her to not get the attention or help that she needs = I think she needs me to give her a thumbs up and care. I think when one has a chronic illness one learns to accept it and not make a big deal out of it and sometimes one doesn't recognize the struggle they go through because they never speak up. So my goal is to talk to her and see how I can support her and give her the thumbs up she needs.

The new meds are giving her horrible depression so i will contact the dr. today to tell them.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:48 am

my card file hasn't been touch for a few days and it is obvious!
my social life has been wonderful at the cost of my home which in reality also affects myself and my family - I love and adore my dh and my d girls! I want my home to represent how I feel about them. I like when my home is a home and not a house that I just pop into.

keeping my fingers crossed regarding my card file.
the way to begin is just pulling one card at a time and doing it - not perfect but livable/good enough. :D
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:18 am

Good morning! I am going to give a thumbs up to ME! I have earned my first star on the calendar for "exercise". Obviously, given the doctor's orders, I did not actually DO the exercise, but watched the video and made notes, so I can start real practice Friday. I did get the cat litter and take down all the Halloween stuff. There are still a few items waiting to be put into bins, and the bins need to be taken to the shed. I can't put them in the shed until Friday because of the foot. It is a little sore today, I may take an advil. I did get the trash out. I did not schedule the bill (not due until 11th, I'm safe). I forgot to put the stuff in the freezer and did nothing on Christmas crafts or blanket square.

Today my car is in the shop getting recall work done. One of the radio stations I like for 10 months out of the year goes to 24/7 Christmas music staring Nov 1. That is WAY too early and I don't much care for their selection. I like traditional carols and the only modern song that I like is the Kink's "Father Christmas". The rest are boring, annoying, or just plain bad. How many versions of Jingle Bells does the world need anyway? Adding "ring a ling a ling ding dong ding" does not make Jingle Bells a new song. I should check out the Christmas albums from Twisted Sister and Rob Halford (of Judas Priest). I might like those.

lucylee: I grew up in Mobile, AL and have seen the sports obsession first hand. Seen it, but will never get it. While at Auburn, I used football games as a time to do laundry. The machines were always available. I went to one game with friends, it lasted too dang long. I wish I'd known how to crochet then.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:35 am

Thumbs Up to all of you here!

LadyM, who pays for all that food you make for your church? So...4H...will you be raising a pig or a cow in your backyard? :lol:

Elizabeth, sure hope your foot is fixed permanently now.

Lilac, dentist visit sounded grim to me. I am more scared than ever about mine, however I will NOT be getting an implant...but I'm sure what I need will still be a big bill and I've never had dental insurance.

Hmmm halloween candy here is a partial bowl of baby ruth's and I had two of them a couple weeks ago and paid the price. Loaded with peanuts. Very good, but oh my, my innards don't do nuts.

Harriet BWTG finding the pin. I have a couple things from DDad's work years. A charm and something else and I very much like to look at them.

Kathryn, are they finally fixing your car?

Thankfully no bison or deer or moose around here. Bears farther south, yipes, and occasionally a Panther could be around here but we have only had one. Many bobcats. Big gopher turtles that amble across the roads and cause people to stop and lift them over to the other side. Our old already-dinged-up cars and trucks are safe from wildlife!

Lucylee, LOL at your schools having off for volleyball! Good for the team. Speaking of teams, nobody I know, including family, is watching NFL games. I never did watch, maybe the superbowl. Only thing I watch is Fla State games because of DGS but they're not very good this year.

Going to look for P. Bracken's recipe. Sounds really good.

So...today's business nonsense is that city website where I need to go to look at permit is giving me an error 404 message.... which the head honcho up there says is working.... until he tries it and gets the error message.... and he will report. :roll: And he mistakenly ordered something AGAIN that I didn't want him to and didn't tell him to on his phone message, I just wanted him to fix the order of things so I COULD order it when we got to that point. 2nd time he did that. I think he doesn't listen very well. Sigh...

Nothing much done so far but the above. Will probably go with DH to dr. for knee shot this afternoon. If his hearing was better I wouldn't go but he misses practically everything the dr. says. Monday I have a mamogram, squish-it squish-it squish-it. Yuck. But good insurance against something worse. Sticking ones head in the sand does not work...

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:12 pm

Taking a minute to check in before I head out. I've already had body work this morning and feel tuned up. My hip/pelvis has not been twisting itself sideways lately so I've not had issues with back.

I am picking up dbro today for the delayed trip to see dmom. Need to pick up some groceries on the way home, or tomorrow. Dh and I will be away for a week beginning Saturday a.m. so we don't need much.

Tomorrow will be busy. I am going to schedule pedicures for me and dd.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “Post When You Can”