"Honey, I'm home" Sunday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
blessedw2

"Honey, I'm home" Sunday

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:50 am

sweet d dee started a post with Honey, I'm home - and I just loved the thought of that.

I thought about being welcomed home (or welcoming family home), in the larger scale and over a life time.
i thought of what that statement meant to me and how and when my home felt welcoming.

When do you feel most at home or when do you feel that special feeling when welcoming others to your home? How can you bring that special feeling to yourself and your family on a regular basis. Share what makes you feel at home (or what home means to you), if you want.

My memories that bring me warmth:

As a child - running home for lunch (we lived 4 blocks from school/church) and my mom having soup and sandwich on the table for us.
- then mom asking how our day was going
-my grandparents (anything)
- the christmas tree and the smell of my mom making thanksgiving and Christmas dinner for extended family
-seeing my grandparents when they came back to the states
-my mother always had a clean house even though they didn't have any money and my dad and mom never let us feel like we were lacking. - nothing was fancy but it was always worked on
-coming in from playing outside on the back yard ice rink d mom made and mom making hot chocolate
-waking up for grammar school and d mom having our cloths on the radiator so we could be warm before going out to school on a cold day
-my dad was not a demonstrative person but sometimes he would look at you with a sparkle in his eye and touch the top of our heads.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Re: "Honey, I'm home" Sunday

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:54 am

I am going to another craft show with d sis in laws this am.
yesterdays cleaned dishes are emptied out of the dw
and the dirty dishes are now in the dw for later washing

frustrated because I just bought fish and it was smelly the next day - I should have brought it back yesterday but I didn't have time so I had to touch it.

made copies for d sis in law
counters cleaned and managed
put my spending from yesterday in my calendar - no charges only cash!
time for 2s2 and out the door

today is baking day (it was such a hit last weekend)
everyone is still asleep which is so unusual - dd older is here and is also sound asleep - consider she is normally up at 5:00 for the gym this is unusual
Last edited by blessedw2 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:39 am

I'm up and ready for church. I washed my hair this morning and am letting it air dry.

DKids are still sleeping. I'll give them another 30 minutes of sleep before waking them. DD will come get DGD6 when she wakes up.

I've spent some time organizing the Future Log in BuJo. I've renamed the Future Log in my BuJo to "In the Pipeline" because it makes more sense to my brain. Future meant someday far far away to me. "In the Pipeline" means actively coming toward me and I'd better be getting ready for it. I know it is only a title to a section, but it helps me think of it in the correct way. November has 18 things that are time sensitive that I need to stay up with and prepare for. Actually, 19 because I don't have Thanksgiving listed.

I think I want to switch from eating out after church to preparing a Sunday Meal and eating at home. I can't make the switch today because I'm not prepared. But hopefully, it will happen next Sunday.....hum....does that need to go into the future log? Nah. That's part of meal planning.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:48 am

have a wonderful day d lady!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:49 am

Love the BuJo name change. You are right, that is a big mental difference. I'm bad about using mine except when I'm completely sure I'll forget something.

I'm up. Slept poorly. Went to bed late (12 old time) because dh set all the clocks back early in the evening and I just floated along, surfing. Sigh...

I need to get moving now because it is 9:40 new time and I haven't done much except think. A wee bit of planning too on how I want the apartment to look when W & R see it for the first time. Things like a bowl of grapes out on the table, and I'm researching a couple of photos and Arabic sayings to put into a photo frame. Came across a many great ones but also found many about not accepting charity which gives me insight into why W might be so reticent to let us set up a home for him. I will have to work on the 'pay it forward' concept - we accept from others so we are stronger when we need to help other people, later on in life.

Here are two of the quotes:

"Everyday of your life is a page of your history" (that will probably go in the photo frame alone with prints of a couple of pictures of them they've sent us over the past 18 months and a "Welcome to Your New Home!" message in the 5 photo frame.) I'll try and find it in Arabic.

"A sponge to wipe away the past; a rose to sweeten the present; a kiss to greet the future." (for this I'm thinking of attaching this to a single rose, wrapped in a sponge and presenting it to them at the airport.)

I need to get moving. I'm still not prepared for this afternoon. Really not prepare, as in: have to go over the song set at least once with dh, get the coffee picked up, buy more plates and foam cups, assemble the decorations, pick out an outfit (obviously my summer red & white outfit won't work), etc. etc.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:40 pm

Re bujo for me it is called what's next or next steps / looking forward to.
Woke up in a puddke of sweat had a liw in the nite sheet washing day. One pr. waiting to go in dryer when bed clothes towels are done from my after midnite shower h hair washing adventures. Journaling done.

Got great progress on laminating dividers for my holiday & household note books both 5 x 7 in. Size. Phew it does stink how ever I will try the obes that do now need to be heated up next time. Worked on getting info o sticky notes in these last nite to wrie out later. Did write out recipes. Saw one on fb 3 ing. Pumpkin cake to try but I want to do an apple version. But I have cherry pie filling will use it dump in crock pot to try out. h loves cherries!

3 yo can help with chores. I saw a u tube on kids helping w chores on A better life with kat she changed her ch name. I have a kid sized broom, wooden mops can be cut off, small wisk broom from $1.oo store was a helpful sticking stuffer one yr for the play house zone in the basement, I knit up coaster size dish cloths too. I got em spoons and a plastic bowl to play with while I was cooking the "cook" too.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:01 pm

Neighbour came by while I was still in my robe (a regular occurrence!) He was supposed to be away, is home, and needed me to task him with something for this afternoon so he's getting the coffee for me. Dh and I will probably take him out for dinner tonight. He needs to not be alone and to be distracted because he got bad news on Friday.

I'm now s2s and had lunch. Ran through the set list. Also sang in the shower to get my voice going. The humidity felt good on my throat.

I've seasoned the stainless fry pan that I decided to try and save from the donation bin (there were two others that need to be in the garbage.) It looks quite good now that the burned is gone and it is all shiny and reflective. While I had the extra oil from that pan, I seasoned the fry pan from my own set of pots. It looks good as well but not a dramatic difference. Of course it has only been used a couple of times. I'll test it tomorrow to see if it really is non-stick. My excellent fry pan just didn't need doing. Dh always is amazed at how no matter how messy it is, it wipes clean after a soak in water. He prefers non-stick pans. I prefer this one but it doesn't work on the induction burner.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:52 pm

Have you used office in a bag or version of it you set up your self. I am doing that today in a tote bag for now & would enjoy discussion about this. What to put in it stamps, journal, pens, etc. Thanks.

Dump cake is cooling and the kit. Smells so yummy. The dump cake is good but I needed to turn it off sooner or on a lower setting. Not bad for a 1st attempt. 1 can lite cherry pie* filling, mix cake mix & wet indg. 1 yellow cake mix, 1 cube melted butter, 1 egg, 3/4 c. Milk, 1 tea. Vanilla. Pour over pie filling, spread evenly, cook on high in crock pot 40 min. Apx. Best served warm with cream or ice cream. (*Any friut filling could be used.)

Sheets back on one bed.
Start lunch next up. X
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:04 pm

Home from church and lunch out. I had a bunch of odd-ball stuff to remember to do this morning. I think I got it all done.

** I pulled the big plastic tub of blankets out of storage and set it up this morning at church. I made 4 signs inviting people to use the blankets if they were cold and to return them after the service.
** I took my contributions for dessert items to be mailed to Kuwait. The FB request for a complete Thanksgiving meal to be sent overseas has been reduced to desserts. I did at least a 2 dozen text messages with various people about this little project this morning.
** DSis wasn't at church so I checked on her.
** All of the light bulbs had burned out in the church kitchen storage area. I found replacement bulbs and asked DGS21 to install 4 new light bulbs into the fixtures.
** I set up the church computer system to record the service today. Got it unhooked after church service.
** There wasn't any music available to play before the service started so I connected my phone to sound system and used my playlist of songs I listen to from The 4:8 Principle. After I started the playlist, then it occurred to me that I wasn't sure they were all appropriate to be played in church but it was all I had available so I just held my breath as each new song queued up. They were all okay.
** I introduced a person who is a trained chef and wanting to volunteer her talents to the person who organizes the funeral meals. I did a group message so they would each have the other one phone numbers.
** VDFriend asked me what he could do for DBro. I told him to take DBro a milkshake tomorrow during his chemo treatment. DBro is going to test keeping his mouth cold tomorrow to see if the cold will lessen the chemo sores in his mouth.
** DSIL text their preacher got up to preach like normal but instead, he announced that he quits, took his headset off and walked off the stage. She said the congregation just sat and stared at each other not knowing what to do. Then everyone got up and left. Everyone is stunned and heartsick over this. This is the preacher that used to be at our church years ago.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:02 pm

((LadyM's dsil's church family))

Our decline in attendance continues. One third, I would say, of what we expect. The lowest crowd the church has ever had, as far as I know - literally as far as I have ever seen in this church in my life.

Sermon was so academic (one of our problems) and had a specific male element, and minister came to ME later to further go into "what you would want to know" about what it also had to do with women. Sigh. I think he sees me as the only person in the church with interest in a woman's questions/point of view/inclusion, so no reason to put these thoughts into the sermon in the first place. I've a chip on my shoulder as big as all outdoors, don't I. Maybe I should be flattered because I'm the only woman in his flock he thinks can understand a sermon's points? But if that is the case, that would be so much worse, so much more out of touch.

I neglected to say that I did attend a baby shower :) yesterday, so I got more done than my post showed. Frankly, though, just took a gift card in a small solid-color bag and the patterned tissue paper was the only "baby"-like touch. Normally I would go to more trouble but this is a second baby and I went all out with the first baby (the shower for which I also made those special mints that looked like buttons).

Return to “Post When You Can”