Health and Fitness, November 2017

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, November 2017

Postby Nancy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:20 pm

I used the gazelle instead of a walk for my exercise today. Walked around thd grange for my exercise.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:33 pm

5 days in a row! My exercise habit is happening again! This makes me sooooo happy!

Thanks, Harriet!
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:09 am

So encouraging to read about the habits.

Lynlee, I was thankful our scale took new batteries recently and kept on trucking. I was holding my breath because it's not young. You made me laugh with the complaints from the belly. I bet you are doing great with your poses.

RunKitty, it's nice to go back to a familiar "path" - you've gone to an actual geographic one and I've gone to some DVDs I haven't done in a while, others are back to different familiar paths.

Another 50 minute workout today - one that builds on Friday's. Trying to have a bit of order in the variety.

The produce man at the natural foods store told me that Tuesdays are a smart day to shop at that particular one because they always have a truck arrive way early on Tuesday and by the time they open the store a lot of "gaps" are filled. This came up because I just point-blank asked him, since several items I really would have purchased were sold out whatever day that was. I'm going to try this advice tomorrow. I worked on preparing some other errands today, so that they can be handled on the way there.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:31 pm

Why meditation may not be for me....

1. It costs a fortune to subscribe to Headspace and I'll be out of the free offerings in 3 days. The website is terrible and I have to use the website to get a discount that makes it a smaller fortune (but a 1 year paid up front) subscription. It is C$18/month or C$131 a year for me. They sent a discount coupon on the yearly charge but that is only usable in US$ and through the website, which as I said, is terrible to navigate. Figuring out the exchange rate and what is the best deal, if any, is stressing me out.

2. I can't get 10 minutes of guaranteed quiet. I've tried doing this 11 times and 3 times I've had to abort. Today, dh was starting a conference call at 11 so I started at 11:05. He interrupted me to tell me his call was postponed until this afternoon. I think the only way I can be guaranteed is to do it while dh is on his computer before his bike around 7:30 in the morning. Phone isn't likely to ring and he won't interrupt. Except I'm often still asleep then.

3. It has taken over 20 days to get my first 10 days of meditating in. My track record is really poor. So I feel like I'm throwing money away (and because of #2, even if I do take this more seriously because I paid, I still may not be able to get the uninterrupted time I need - when I did it in the car, I was distracted because I was sure someone was going to come up to the car while I sat there with my eyes closed so finding a place to meditate feels impossible to me. I have no place to go to where no interruption is guaranteed.

4. Back to the remembering to do this issue, the notification doesn't work. It sends me an email (so is added to my to-do list) but I've asked it to send me a notification on my phone as well (an alarm) and it doesn't.

Meditating shouldn't be this stressful.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:20 pm

As my daily habit of exercise has restarted, the pain in my foot has increased. I have sought help for my foot from family doctor and Podiatrist. Neither one of them had a solution. Both said I could have surgery but the chances of it reoccurring were high. What to do?

I decided to go for a consultant with acupuncturist and chiropractor. I don't have a clue if they can do anything to help my foot, but am willing to check all options. I have an appointment this afternoon.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:45 am

((Kathryn)) I expect the stress education expert I heard would say take what you can learn from headspace and leave the rest, especially if it isn't helpful enough to compensate for the problems. I looked up his other recommendation. I had thought he was saying "insight times" but instead it must be Insight Timer, which, in its info, says it is the most popular free app for guided meditation. free is less stressful, maybe? Or maybe a book or video would be good for learning to meditate on one's own. The fellow who started headspace has some youtube videos, although I have no idea if they are for beginning meditation.

LadyM, I would be so interested in your thoughts after hearing from the chiro. I hope one way or another there is an idea for you.

My planned after-the-truck-delivers grocery trip seems to have worked out fine. Can't prove it is a "best" time, but at least I didn't run into obviously empty shelves except for Japanese mushroom varieties, and I had plenty of Shitake at home, so that didn't mess up any plans today. The sprouts I wanted were delivered and very fresh. Must admit, it looked like no others were delivered. Maybe I was just lucky that my list matched their deliveries today.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:22 am

I really like Headspace. The issue is that I'm not in the US. I have a hard time getting people to realize that border is a really big deal. As well, I'm not impressed with the auto renewal. I can't buy a year's worth on Paypal without granting them access to my US$ credit card (instead of my Paypal account.) That's because it will auto-renew at the end of the year.

I don't want that. I want to make my own decision at that time not have them charge either my Paypal or my credit card when I haven't remembered the renewal is coming up.

Where the border makes a difference on something like auto-renewal is that something that cost me US$100 now and in a year will actually go through my account at anything from C$100 to C$150 depending on the exchange rate. So I'm not making an informed decision when I'm going into auto renewal. On LastPass and DropBox I'm being charged in C$ all the time so I know whether it is a fair amount (and both companies do have a converted rate that is fair.) The current Headspace C$ offer is about 30% more than the US$ offer because the US offer includes a 25% discount code that isn't available to me in C$.

I will look into Insight Timer, though, so thanks for the followup.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:07 am

Tues. I walked the dog.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:40 pm

I'm loving my daily walk. Missed one day, so the next day I went twice as far to make up for it. The bonus is getting to talk to a neighbor that I would not have seen if holed up in my house!
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:40 pm

I walked the ddog today after dinner after dark I have my reflective vest on and took a flashlight with me and ny phone of corse.

Return to “Healthy Habits”