Fearless Friday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Fearless Friday

Postby Nancy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:59 pm

I peeled the potatoes chopped them up for hubby to have some fried potatoes maybe fpr hos breakfast. I have de-seeded the pumpkin, it is a bit scary cutting in to a med. Lg. Pumpkin with my biggest knife. I am baking half of it now. The hens were tickled to get some seeds & the cooked potatoe peels. 5 will just have the 1yo this evening.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:16 pm

Long, exhausting, day. But incredibly productive and rewarding.

We were done the moving in good time, releasing the helpers at 10:20. Being ready for them and knowing where everything went was rewarding since I knew it made things go quickly. Dh and I stayed on to assemble the furniture and tidy a bit. I had a couple of boxes to unpack and make decisions about. Tomorrow, CM will be there to help as well so we'll wash things up together.

All that is left to move in is the box spring (and put the mattress on top of that) and a rocking chair and coffee table. Looking around, things look almost perfect, so that was a rewarding part of the day too.

There is room for another 3 seater couch in the living room but we'll look for that after W & R arrive so they can find something they want.

I took pictures of the apartment because I'm afraid the other group will come in and take things away or change how I have things set up. I was a bit nervous leaving the pressure cooker they object to and the vacuum, still in their boxes in case they take them away. It is sad that I no longer trust them.

We still don't have pots (I have a set I've bought for $15 but am looking for donations.) The pots I got today were soup pots. The lady had 5 more boxes and bags of things for me but I didn't need them for W & R. She's moving and needs to stage her house so can't store them for me. I took a picture of the pile and dd looked at it and said she could store the items. So they will be saved.

Next, dh dropped me at dd's. At 8:30 I had received a text from dd that "if you were wondering if you could drop by today, the answer is yes." She knew I was moving things in today, didn't know I haven't written the service or sermon yet but I went because she also wrote, "He's four kinds of miserable so we are staying home from playgroup so I'm a few kinds of miserable myself." He has an ear infection, molars coming in, and a shot in each thigh from his immunizations yesterday. She is exhausted (he's crying and clingy and not sleeping well) and she's feeling isolated.

When we left the apartment I texted and told her I could come but she'd have to feed me. That was OK. I let myself in because he was asleep in her arms. He was a bit miserable when he woke up. Lying on his side, the ear hurt, when you hold him, his legs hurt. Poor darling. He snuggled in and I shushed and jostled which settled him down to slight moans. But my own body was exhausted already so I was glad he started to brighten up.

We had lunch, I played for an hour with him, I walked him around for what felt like an hour, we had one fall over, one pulling all the pots down from a shelf and scaring him to tears, and then a general meltdown for no reason whatsoever. I told her he really felt warm to me. She took his temperature and it was 38 so normal. Thankfully she said that allowed. I said it was a fever, she said no, normal is 38.6. I countered with normal is 98.6*F and 37*C. She went off to check and came back to say I was right and she'd give him some tylenol.

I was singing to him and standing-rocking at this point and she went off to go to the bathroom herself before dosing him and nursing him. When she came back from the bathroom he was almost asleep on my shoulder after just 3 minutes. So we were both relieved - it means I might be able to sing him asleep if I ever need to. That was the most rewarding part of the day.

I left them upstairs and sat downstairs waiting for dh. While I was with dd, he went home, got the snow tires into the car, went out to our country tire shop to change them and then came back to get me.

After leaving her place, we had the wheels re-torqued at another branch of the tire shop, then had a really early dinner. We are in for the night now. I'm doing another load of laundry, this should be the last one.

I should be writing the sermon now but I wanted to spend time with you guys first.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:35 pm

Hmmm... what should I be doing but wanted to spend time with you guys first?

Answer - 2nd half of my 50 minutes exercise! :) It's especially brisk this time, lol. So I'm having a water break (which I was told on the workout to do, btw).

I shopped pharmacy 1 for dstepdil's bday gift and card. I'm pleased but can't get in touch with her, so she'll just have to believe me that we were not belated! Did get HRH to sign it - his handwriting is light years ahead of mine. Much more festive.

Made a big stir-fry tonight.

Back to the salt mines.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:45 pm

To answer Harriet's question: If I was fearless I'd go back to Africa and volunteer to help teach the girls at TEMBO. But I'm afraid of getting sick.

Another thing I'd do if I was fearless is accept the invitation we received tonight to sing on the radio. It is very nice to be asked. The person who recommended us is a music critic (and a tenant who was at the Canada 150 event we did last Sunday so heard us sing.)

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:00 pm

Egads! I held on to today's mail but just googled and they are closed tomorrow. I was confused because the county offices were closed today - because they aren't open on Saturdays and needed to get their holiday. Usually it's all the same day... and lots of holidays are celebrated on the day before or after if it hits on a weekend. Oh well. I had a box full of mail and thought maybe I forgot to pick it up yesterday, but I didn't. Probably the same with the bank, which I would have done today if I'd been thinking straight.

Harriet, sounds like you did a good job at the meeting. Your guy "friend" (do we call him a chauvenist :shock: ) is way behind the times.

We have a yearly budget. Every department, ministry, etc. is allocated their $ and if they don't use it they lose it the next year. Our deaconess committee had a budget for the stamps we used for sending out the get well, sympathy cards and one year the gal in charge of that just donated her own stamps. The next year there was no budget for it. We actually print a monthly total budget and total income and it's easy to see if we're behind or ahead by just reading the program.

I didn't get a whole lot done. But, something is always better than nothing. I jumped in the shower and decided to go run to the hairdresser for a hair cut. I was beyond shaggy. Got that done (she cut it a little longer than I'd hoped) but better. Sitting in front of the big mirror with the lights convinced me I need to visit my colorist, the gray is getting beyond ridiculous.

Helped DH empty his truck and handed him lumber while he stacked from the tall ladder, and the scraps went out to the fire pit. Dinner was easy, red beans and rice and tossed salad. I need a rest.

AustinGranny, can you send your neighbor here to do my 2 area rugs? My shampooer doesn't work right any more.

Kathryn, can't blame you for not wanting to go to Africa. Plague appears to be spreading to other countries. Couple different kinds. Fleas and rats. Yikes!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:33 pm

Guess I did become more 'rested' as the day went on, Blessed. DD and I spent a lovely day together at EPCOT, albeit one of the busiest days of the year obviously. Amazing. I walked about 12,000 steps today and still felt great. It was their food and wine festival so we ate a few different things along our walk. Stopped at one of the regular places and split an order of fish and chips. The fish was really, really good! Can't tell you how good it seemed to not dread going there because I was 'too tired'. I have an annual pass which I renewed the end of December last year. However, it hadn't been activated since I had my heart attack shortly after renewing it. I've paid on it all year and was pleasantly surprised today. Gal told me since it was renewed last year I got 13 months (I had thought I'd renewed it too late to get that last year). So, I was thinking it'll go to January of 2018. Wrong! They activated it as of today so goes through December 10, 2018. So once I have the amount paid off I'll have a whole year without payments. Nice.

Going to join dh in bed now. It really got cool out there today/tonight. Glad I took a light jacket.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:45 pm

Since I mentioned greeting cards as something I need to work on, thought I'd report back that I found out Current has an any-shipping-for-99c sale this weekend, no matter how much in the order. The usual shipping cost is one of their drawbacks, I think, along with the longer time frame to receive what's ordered. Otherwise, great stuff for holidays and helpful greeting cards or sets of cards. So they will probably get some of my business this weekend. Today at the pharmacy, which has Hallmark cards, getting extra ones to save was an expensive decision and I resisted it.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:27 pm

I've had a couple long, exhausting days in a row.

Yesterday I had a sewing group board meeting mid-morning and then had to rush to work. Felt like I was on the run all day and night.

Today I did chores this morning, had a long lunch with a good friend, and then ran errands and did some Christmas shopping.

In the middle of all that I got a flu shot. I haven't had a flu shot for a several years, but this year we've already had a lot of sick people through the library before we're anywhere near winter. I know some viruses will still catch me, but hopefully not as many.

I'm grateful that I have a warm wool coat because I needed it today. Brr!

Tomorrow morning I'll go to sewing group meeting and this month we will be having a brunch social. I had hoped to finish a couple of projects to show the group.

However, after yesterday and today, I'm too tired to stay up sewing. I don't want to risk making mistakes under time pressure. I'd rather be able to relax and enjoy the process of sewing a fun project.

Thanks for the info about Current, Harriet. I'll check out their website this weekend.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:25 am

Early nite if payroll glad for that. Got the kitchen picked up. Now for pj's. Dinner was yummy. I am working on my desk in spurts and flutters. At least I can use it now at least part of the time. Heading to j & c with some interesting news.

Return to “Post When You Can”