THURSDAY TICKET

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
blessedw2

Re: THURSDAY TICKET

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:43 pm

hope you figure that out d Twins!!! the DNA match.
I am glad you had a nice lunch!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:29 pm

My Thursday tickets are to Mobile's Mardi Gras. I will get there the afternoon of Friday 2/9 and leave the day after Mardi Gras Day - Wednesday 2/14. DD15 will become DD16 on 2/15. Both traveling companion friend and I have our tickets, but I don't think she will use Elizabeth's Own Travel Agency again. Both sets of tickets were more than I originally estimated, because it was 2 weeks ago when she asked the price. I could not go to a single airline website to get hers because so many were sold out already. I got hers at T ravelocity, which she is unhappy about, but it gave me the multi-airline option. I snagged them when I saw them because most of the flights had red notices "only N tickets left!", where N = 1, 2, or 3. There is a plane change where we thought there would be none. The return trip assigns seats at the gate if you use the special fare (which is also non-refundable, non-changeable, etc.) She is used to free checked bags, that is a real rarity now and does not apply to this trip. She didn't even know how much that was! She didn't want me to get them earlier because she was trying to arrange things around her frequent flyer miles and using some for Italy and some for Mobile. What a nightmare!

In answer to someone's question (blessedw2?), my family has never done king cakes. That is more a New Orleans custom.

In answer to Ramblinrose's questions: 2/9 to 2/14. The routes have changed since I was a child, so I no longer have "my usual place". Last time I was there, 10 years ago, we parked in the Carnival Museum parking lot and stood on the nearest inside corner. That lot has never been open to the public during parades, but my mother was and still is a docent there and had the proper permit. However, now they rent the lot out to vendors instead. We will probably still use that corner because mom goes there 2 or 3 times a week and knows the area.

What grocery store has the initials HT? All I can think of is Hot Topic. Probably not the same, but I learned from one post that there is a Lowes grocery store, so maybe it is.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:18 pm

grocery store done but holy smokes the price!!! I did buy fish for tomorrow, rice again, and i was out of sesame oil and rice vinegar - crazy :shock:

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:25 pm

I lost a post - d elizabeth the bottom line from my previous post was that I am thrilled for you!

Harris Teeter?

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:44 pm

I'm feeling free. All the must-do's appointments are done for the day. DH has volunteered to take DS9 to basketball practice tonight @8pm. DH also encouraged me to take tomorrow "off". He will take care of the DKids. DGS21 has asked me to come to his apartment tomorrow because he wants to take me out to eat for my birthday (belated). So I don't really have a day "off" but will spend several hours with DGS21. Hopefully, I can snag some free time before or after time with DGS21.

Dinner is sloppy joes on homemade bread. The meat/vegetable mixture is made. The bread is rising.

I have a couple girlfriends trying to talk me into going to a meet/greet sewing thing tonight. I am hesitating because when will I ever sew? My days are scheduled from early to late. In a different phase of life, I would jump whole-hearted into sewing/quilting with DFriends. It is on my want-to-do list. But I suspect trying to force it to fit into my life right now is just going to frustrate me. Decision made. I'm not going.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:46 pm

Elizabeth, I have a friend whose children live in Mobile and she used to order King Cakes for her classes at school. They were sooo good. (I love cinnamon anything, so they were right down my alley.) I have been tempted to order myself one -- or now, to just go to P ublix and get one there.

HT -- Hometown Market?

I got my dryer back! Hooray for that. It was over $200 but a new one to match my washer would be $500-$600. He had to replace drum rollers and the belt, and he put a new vent hose on it, and I imagine he cleaned out a TON of lint. He said it was over 3 hours labor.

Otherwise, I've done nothing all day. :oops:

Talking to ddil on the phone now. She called to ask about dmom's surgery -- but she's complaining about her teacher right now (on her way to class). I'm so glad she seems to like to call and talk like this.
She was telling me how well dgs did on his report card -- got a "plus" on PE this time. (Remember, he got a "minus" last time b/c he doesn't like to participate.) Sooo glad he is doing better with stuff like that. We know his academics will be okay, but people-skills, sometimes, not so much. But we can tell he is improving all the time. Last night when I went in his class to get him after church, he and another little boy and girl were having the best time, all playing together with this "sensory box" (I think the teacher called it.) Big storage box filled with dried beans and plastic animals. They were burying the animals in the beans in plastic cups. He told the teacher he wished church lasted longer. :D

Must start supper! Will try to BBL!
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:05 pm

We are shoe people as well. I put mine on as I dress and don't remove until night. Galoshes for henhouse chores or other wet-weather outdoor chores are at the back door. We have serious mats. The one at back is actually high-traffic for a commercial building.

Got some church Desk Day done. Continuing with undecorating.

LadyM, you probably made the right decision. Time has to be considered.

Yes, Harris Teeter. This and Food Lion (first Food Town) were "born" in this area, they are each fond of saying. Harris Teeter is upscale compared to Food Lion, which bills itself as sensible. FL tried adding Bloom stores with greater variety to compete with HT specifically, but pulled back when they weren't as profitable and now stay with their business model.

blessed, I thought your dh was funny. You could tease him that you will add pom poms for the dark, sensible ones if he likes.

lucylee, I'm sure you were pleased to find your dgs having so much fun with other boys and girls.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:17 pm

dh does make me laugh - I should do that!!! :lol: glad you were able to do some church desk day and some un-decorating d harriet!

I am exhausted all of a sudden - I could sleep - and I feel like I am getting a cold (that has happened the last week each night). Next make dinner even if I feel lazy.

Yay d lucy on your dryer coming back!
it means a lot that she calls you as her mom! very cool. I am happy he is adapting to that class - I know he had a hard time with it at first. Good for him!

hi d lady glad you are feeling free! glad your dh took him to basketball - it will be fun for both of them! So great that he will give you a day off tomorrow to recoup - but i know mom's are never really off duty just less constant which will be nice. Your bread sounds lovely!

okay - either I am going to fall asleep or get dinner together... standing up to make dinner - keeping fingers crossed. Now where is my timer

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Is HT H arris T eeter? I think they are only in the South east. Sorry, I let this sit here, I see now that Harriet has answered. The nice store here is P ublix. We have a Food C ity closer but the selection is so much better at P ublix.

I had a nap and dh called and suggested I not cook and join him for dinner at friends'. I begged off on dinner - they drink a lot of wine and I'm on a tear trying to watch what I eat and drink - and I'd rather not be exposed and get my guard down.

I need to walk the dog next.

It's mid-fifties outside, the house thermostat is up to 70 (i usually run it 66-57) and I'm freezing!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:01 pm

Thursday was a 29 hour day for me so I'm a bit confused as to the day of the week here. I just keep saying Friday the 12th to myself (needed to do that for best before dates at the grocery store where the 18 is confusing me as well!)

We arrived safely but were booked into the wrong hotel room by my travel agent. First time I've used an agent in 11 years and it will be the last. The Perth airport hotel had problems too. But last night we walked into the room and realized we could barely stay there one night, let alone seven.

The room was so tiny there was only room for one suitcase to be opened at a time and I had to block the wardrobe with mine when it was closed. Thankfully my carry-on bag had everything I needed so I never opened my bag at all and I could put the carry-on bag in the wardrobe to clear a path to the bathroom for me.

The management were wonderful (the booking confusion had nothing to do with them.)

We are now in the room I originally wanted. There is hanging up space for 4 items of clothing, no drawers, no shelves and a tiny desk (18" deep and 4' wide) but that's way better than the 12" x 2.5' wide desk in the other room. This room does have room for the suitcases to be opened up so dh's in on the stand and mine on the floor. Our bags really don't work this way - they are 50% of the space on both sides of the open bag. One side of the open bag has a shoe compartment and open part, the 'lid', is 4" deep and has two zippered compartments. So I've moved everything I don't need access to into the lid compartments and everything I do need is in the base, like a big drawer. I organize my clothes in zip lock bags so this should work fine for me. The lid is where my toiletries, medicines, pillow, heating pad, travel shopping bags and computer accessories go and so they are mostly out of the lid.

I've crammed my carry-on bag under the head of the bed (it is a folding suitcase so can squish down) and this room has a chair to hold the lovely comforter that is on the bed but not needed when in bed at night since it is summer here.

We have 2 'easy' chairs and a desk chair. The other room had a desk chair but you couldn't pull it out because the bed was in the way. This room has a kitchenette with counter space as well.

I've unpacked me fully and dh as much as I dared. He uses his compartments differently than I do so I'm not sure which are his clean and dirty clothes. Laundry will be on my to-do list this evening or tomorrow.

Dh is at work (after 6 hours in bed) and I've already been over to take him some things he needs. Our Australian phones work here but are expensive to use ($1 a minute to talk, 50 cents per text.) So picking up NZ phone SIMs is my afternoon task.

After dropping the things at dh's work, I walked over to the grocery store in the train station and spent $40 on a few things. Breakfasts are covered now for the rest of the stay. Plus some cheese and crackers, carrots, chocolate, and milk. Breakfast this morning was $32 (just eggs, bacon, toast each) so the groceries will save us a good amount of money for the rest of the trip.

Return to “Post When You Can”