Health and Fitness, January, 2018

Share healthy living habits.
RunKitty

Re: Health and Fitness, January, 2018

Postby RunKitty » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:37 pm

Congratulations to Ramblin', Harmony, Twins', and Harriet on weight losses.
I'm down 13 pounds since 11/2/17 when I started running again.
I have been buying and enjoying microgreens in my salads. I want to grow them too!
What are your favorite varieties, Harriet?

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:46 am

RunKitty, 13 pounds is terrific!

I lose very slowly, that's been my pattern. Half a pound a week. Last couple weeks I lost a lb. each but then some of it crept back on. I'm not surprised.

Spent some time looking up stuff online. I was checking hardening of the arteries and I printed off a couple pages for DH. He was all :shock: yesterday when the dr. mentioned evidence of this...so I needed to strike while the iron was hot and give him information. We did talk about it some and he said that he thought we'd been doing better because I had been cutting down on the amount of meat we're eating (well him mostly, I never ate a huge gob of it).

So he asks what we should be really doing and I said the dreaded word vegetarianism again.... oh, really? And I told him the cutting down on the meat was what I felt I could do and "get away" with, hehehe. So he says he'll read the stuff I printed off. I hope I'll not have to be the bad guy in the food choice area and that he stays a bit motivated.

One article said cutting out meat/dairy etc. best way to go but easier for most people is Mediterranean diet....which might be a way to ease into all this. I'm not missing my beef a lot. I'm missing my eggs and cheese.

We did talk about where all the unhealthy fats are, and what they put in those cookies, cakes, pies he brings home. Hopefully that'll stop.

It's too bad really. He has none of the risk factors like overweight, diabetes, lack of exercise, smoking. He just likes meat!

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:42 pm

Harriet..:.Sweetie is really been talking to me recently about what he’s sees with my stress levels. Usually he doesn’t say much to migraine and h hernias haven’t helped.

There is no substantial evedents that my cluster headaches are caused by stress. Studies have shown that migraines just happen because they happen. Yes some people do have triggers like Elizabeth, but they would occur regardless... just the severity increases ... as a person who suffers like I do I know it is difficult for Sweetie to see them steal days of my life. However I get them whether I am under stress or not.

Kitty... I can’t run but I can speed walk and at one point in my life was walking 5.2 mph with help from a walking program. I recently pulled my old cds out, but my player is worn and not dependable. Call me old school but I loved them and can’t find an app that duplicates them only ones for running. So amazon here I come.

On an interesting note one of the gurus of running lived in my home town and became world renouned for his style his name was George Shaheen... not sure of the spelling but he was from from NJ. We just called him Crazy George cause back in the 50’s and 60’s no one was running. We would see him on our way to church and he would be running in running shorts and t-shirts in the dead of winter even when ther was snow on the ground. He was an phyciatrist and later in life would only take patients who would run with him.

My mom started running at 49’with daily 3-5 miles. She slowed down to 1-2 in her seventies but had to quit to take care of my dad. She has been battling balancing issues for years now.. she’s 90, and the doctors told her though running kept her health the lack of doing any type of weight strengthing has caused her her problems.... no muscles.’ My trainer says he he’s this all the time with older runners.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:41 pm

Got in 3.6 miles on my gazelle ... it’s a start :D

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:53 pm

I have done 30 min. On the exercise bike , did a 10 min. Walk as well.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:21 am

Ramblin', that was some amazingly fast walking you were doing!! What is the name of the CD's you used? I remember George Sheehan. I used to love reading his articles in Runner's World magazine....very inspirational.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:42 pm

Yup Kiity that was George... I put my cds away as soon as I find them I will post their names

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:08 pm

I have mentioned a few times here about my struggles with bingeing. I don't talk about it much because it is embarrassing and overwhelming. Mostly I prefer to ignore that it is happening....regularly. It is a vicious cycle....binge...determine to do better....binge....repeat. I have talked to my family doctor about it and took prescription meds for awhile. I have spent a year doing WW trying to control it. Nothing has worked. The bingeing keeps happening.

I came to realize my bingeing had some similarity to alcoholics. It is an addiction. I googled food addiction and read. I immediately knew I was on the right path. So I read. read. researched. read. read. read. The more I read the more it became apparent. I took their silly test to prove them wrong. They said if you answer yes to 3 of the questions, then you are a food addict. I answered yes to 9 out of 10 of the questions. ARGHH!!

I went to DH and told him what I found. I wanted DH to tell me that it wasn't so. I wanted DH to tell me this was a bunch of hogwash. I was sad when DH told me that he thought I was on the right path.

This is HARD for me. I don't want to go through the pain of giving up the things I like. I have cried more than once over the past couple of day. I didn't want to admit that I'm a food addict and can't control it.

After agonizing over this I finally admitted to myself that I am a food addict. I committed to doing the 12 step plan similar to AA.

I started with Step Zero which is giving up all sugar and flour. The other steps have less to do with food and more to do with spiritually/emotionally realizations. I have joined a group that has daily meetings (except Sundays). Tomorrow I start an intense 6-week study of Steps 1, 2 and 3.

I really wish there was an easier way for me to control my bingeing. Step 1 is to admit that I'm powerless to do it on my own. I've proven that to myself.

I am posting this here because I don't want to hide my addiction. I don't want to watch my words with the hope that I don't reveal it. I am on Day #3 of being binge free.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:08 pm

Here you go Kitty...you can buy them on amazon. There are others as well. I don't know why the ratings are low cause back in the day I used them to walk off 40lbs in three months :D

Shape Fitness Music - Walk 3: High Energy Hits

Shape Fitness Music: Walk 3 High EnergyD

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:36 pm

LM - There is also Overeaters Anonymous. It has info without the 'banning food groups' I think.
That said. I've had to stop with accessing certain things - like sugar, and taste of sugar which awakens those taste buds again.

Yoga classes start today. I need to be out of here.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Healthy Habits”