What's for Dinner?

Share recipes, menus, and kitchen hints.
Harriet

Re: What's for Dinner?

Postby Harriet » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:05 pm

Sounds delicious, blessed! spicy can be great for that upper respiratory ick.

Not wal mart but WF, meaning whole foods, which I should have written out.

As a matter of fact, a trip to wal mart yesterday with HRH was not much help to us in produce section. Every once in a while you do get lucky - he was thrilled with the tomatoes, of all things. For greens, I gave up - really sparse selection, and I was glad to know I had another grocery on my errands plan later.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:08 am

I should have figured that out lol.
Our local store seems to have more than WF - I am usually disappointed by their amount of organic fruits and veggies. We are lucky that our local Hein - ens has a lot of organics which makes me happy.

We didn't have a dinner at home last night. I stopped at our 3 ta-rts place and spent a small fortune I can't afford. I will not be going there again for a month so I won't be tempted. I did buy 3 of their special sandwiches - they have a great veggie and sunflower sandwich as well as a tuna,caper, olive bread sandwich I like. It's good that I did because I took a nap of all things - I hadn't slept well the night before and we had to leave at 6:15 am saturday morning. I couldn't get rid of the cold in my body so - zzzz happened. I also had left over wedding soup that dd's had. dd older is still here as the snow was continual and she needed to have family time :D I always enjoy that.

I have menu planning today - hopefully.
I do have 4 soups frozen in case of needing a meal.
It still snowing but I might head over to the store to get basil and chicken for d family for kababs I meant to make.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:50 am

last night we had the pita's - chicken marinated - I like Ina Garten's taziki- cucumber, yogurt and a bit of sour cream, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, dill, s/p - , I served with feta with a bit of good olive oil and fresh thyme - cut up tomatoes, red onion, (thinking next time instead of meat for me I could use garbanzo beans/chickpeas.

tonight: taco's - dh (chicken from yesterday), me black beans,
avocado salsa

I have to freeze the wedding soup (enough for another family meal)
and the chicken chili I bought at three t arts - freeze individually

so far ezekiel toast, cream cheese

lunch thinking: cut veggies and white bean dip

taco's - simple dinner as mostly all the veggies were cut already.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:15 am

dd younger wants to make dinner from her new (very difficult) cookbook (the french laundry)
but just in case - I have a dutch baby I can make or since it is pancake day - well then pancakes - I will be dd's prep chef 8-) and help keep up on dishes :lol: knowing dd it will turn out beautifully - she is a very good cook.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2007/05/the- ... kbook.html

dd did not feel good so dinner had to go out the window I bought chipotle for her and dh
I also bought meatballs (instead of making them) from the italian deli by our house - I disliked spending the money but I wanted to freeze the rest of the soup and it needed some meatballs for it. This way I have a dinner for dd and dh if they needed it if I am not at home.

I don't have a menu plan yet :shock: ;) I have veggies and groceries but no plan - I could make black bean enchiladas but I am so tired of mexican food right now.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:44 am

Oh, blessed, I got so amused at the quotes at the bottom of that page! I realize, they are about a more difficult recipe than you and your daughter will be using, but so funny about The French Laundry recipes ("don't try this if you are busy or if you have a life"). lol! I hope you have fun.

So there must be TWO reasons :D I'm coming in here this a.m. to suggest this mother-daughter video to you and your dds.

It's called Dressing up with Jane and Ann. (making salad dressings)

It was a suggested video to me this morning from youtube dated Jan 30 '18. I was by myself with my new-to-me cereal that has coconut in it and I was really wanting to try the taste. It said 9 minutes... .. I thought, hey, I probably have 9 minutes. So I watched while I ate and never tasted the cereal!!! It's so amusing and charming that I looked down at the bowl and it was gone, but I was laughing. (Well, I could remember the taste - a winner.)

This is the wife and daughter of Caldwell Esselstyn who wrote the book the daughter holds up at the first. Also they are the mother and sister of Rip Esselstyn who wrote Engine 2 about fire station cooking.

Anyway, sending to my two dds today. Saying this will be us in the future, interrupting each other, getting the giggles, and making mistakes in the kitchen - story of our lives!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:59 am

I loved (loved the ladies in that video) I subscribed! I will tell dd younger. I truly can't wait to see what they have to offer. I really really liked it.

Yup that french laundry book is exactly that - I even laughed when I saw the detail in his book - I think for dd younger it is doable. I love the quote at the end too!

my favourite book to laugh at (of hers) is the Alenia Restaurant where an individual can pay 250 to 600 a person. They use every technical skill there is including freeze drying drops of delectable liquids (stocks/etc) for the plate of food and the palate. It is crazy. (this below is from their site) If you look for images you can see the "dishes". I think it was listed as best restaurant in the world one year. (And people from around the world make (paid) reservations months ahead of time. Crazy but fascinating.

Can I reschedule or cancel my reservation if I am no longer able to come
Per the policy stated on our website, all sales are final and non-refundable. You may transfer your reservation to another guest, however, requests to reschedule or cancel a reservation are at the sole discretion of management. We kindly ask for a minimum notice of 72 hours for any request to cancel or reschedule. For assistance, please email hospitality@alinearestaurant.com.
Can I give my booking away instead of transferring it on this site?
Because we contact all guests before they dine with us, we request that all bookings are formally transferred through our site. Log in to your account, navigate to “My Account”, select “Your Booking” and click the “Transfer” button next to the experience you would like to transfer.

Happy cooking d Harriet!!!
Last edited by blessedw2 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:36 pm

I think I had a hard time planning last week because I complicated things too much. With dd younger being mostly vegetarian and having a real hard time digesting foods lately and her allergies to nuts etc. and with dd older have dairy issues (sheep milk/goat milk - small amounts don't bother her as much) and she and dh are meat eaters I have been over thinking everything. I also have a want to try new things all the time and this week needs simpler meals. I was trying to find the perfect meals and realized I was going for that ADHD perfectionist thinking of all or nothing.

(she is living at home again because she is trying very hard to save for a deposit on a house - long drive though 1 -1/2 hours to come home) - a studio downtown that is cheap is 1400 a month (bad bad neighbourhoods are about 1200 for a studio) and dh/dd/I spoke about it and this is better for a short bit)

My heart wanted to cook from the Happy Pear and anything unknown from Lemonade, Jamie Oliver, America's Test Kitchen Vegetarian and I realized I needed something that didn't require a lot of thinking.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:38 pm

dd younger and watched the video together and we both loved it.... we thought the mom was so cute!
These videos will be part of our collection.

Menus planned but not yet allocated to a certain date. I had so much fun with this today. I was making it too hard.

We are eating out today until I can bleach everything after dd older being sick. chinese tonight.

1. Millefeuilles aux tomatoes and lentils (sounds so fancy but are really buckwheat crepes made ahead with tomatoes, herbs, and lentils in between) by rachel khoo at little french kitchen - large salad - (buy dh and dd older premade fish or chicken from our local store)
2. Crab cakes with avocado salsa,
2A poblano and black bean enchiladas :D ' (a favourite in the house) :D
3. Heart and soul cook book, page 200 Jacques Pepin: grilled chicken (for dd younger roasted veggies) and chimichurri sauce and for dd yogurt mixed w sirracha for a topping. some type of salad :D
4. raviolo (spinach/ricotta ravioli with egg yolk) - made before and is a hit.
5. spanish tortilla (leave chorizo off dd youngers piece): Jacques pepin heart and soul
6. tsinmes cooking for jeffrey page 157 ina garten: onion, carrots, sweet potatoes, onion, butternut squash, orange zest, stop, prunes
cannelli dip with veggies heart and soul Jacques
beet and horseradish dip with veggies as well Jamie Oliver everyday superfood
(buy something meat for dh and dd older)

extra: cold tea with basil and strawberries (I haven't made it in years)
cucumber, apple, mint water (I have mint I have to use)

considering: roasted carrot, squash glad with millet, apple jalepeno and pomegranates Jamie Oliver everyday superfood page 114
lentils salad with soft boiled egg 81

Next week: consider super green soup with chickpea veg and chorizo for those who want it (if I have any left) everyday superfoods by Jamie Oliver
Last edited by blessedw2 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:56 am

I finally stopped being lazy and procrastinating about making dinner - I super focused on the work I was doing and didn't start making dinner until late when I was tired. I didn't plan right - I should have had really simple dinners or use frozen stuff I pre-made.

We had the black bean/poblano/tomatillos etc. tortilla's - left over salad as well
always a good one vegetarian (america's test kitchen) but this time the poblano's were spicier than usual which dd's loved but dh couldn't have.

made extra poblanos for freezer

I froze two servings for another day.

if anyone wants the recipe I will post it.

sauce: 1 can tomatillo's and 1 green enchilada sauce (or 2 green enchilada sauce)
cilantro, garlic, little cream, little broth, onion, s/p (in food processor)

inside the tortilla (corn) softened
black beans (1/2 mashed), onion sautéed, garlic, chili powder, coriander, cumin, (if wanted some Monterey jack), the poblanos, 1/2 cup of the sauce/s/and cilantro

sauce on bottom of pan - and on top of rolled tortilla's top with monterey jack if wanted (cover) bake 25 minutes - take off foil cook a bit longer

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:05 pm

made what I think will be a lovely terrine for Sunday.
using the panini/grill - layers of eggplant, zucchini (yellow and green), roast tomatoes, asparagus, red pepper (jarred), carrots, red onion, goat cheese (herbed) and pesto (w/o nuts)

dinner was left overs. (frozen) , I figured on this today as I knew I wanted to make the terrine.
reminding myself that I have to buy french bread for toasts
Last edited by blessedw2 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “SHEs in the Kitchen”