Health and Fitness, April 2018

Share healthy living habits.
Lynlee

Re: Health and Fitness, April 2018

Postby Lynlee » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:19 pm

Harriet - Its True I don't do oats.
There are buckwheat flakes sold, so I guess they would cook faster.
Its possible here to buy raw or roaster buckwheat - I'm guessing the buckwheat cooks faster.
Overnight soaking would help.
I would have said buckwheat had an 8-10 min cooking time, if you liked it chewy.
Mostly I put on water to heat after I take thyroid meds.
add my premixed seed mix of buckwheat and quinoa flakes, cashews and ground flaxseed . (I keep that in the fridge). (the flakes give it a porridge texture)
add chopped ginger and whatever fruit, and a little salt. ( chop up the ginger in slices and freeze, then chop up a slice when I start the mix cooking.)
By then my solid element has heated the water to almost a simmer. I turn the power off and walk away.
come back 30 - 60 min later from tmeds time.

Ratios I use for the mix in a 3 litre container that fits in the fridge door.
500g raw buckwheat
500g quinoa flakes
250 g/ cup ground flaxseed
Maybe a cup of cashews. that varies. Or I add some as I cook. (any allowed nut would do, or none)
My measuring cup I leave in the seed mix is an egg cup. 250ml water or more is possibly better.
I have 2 egg cups per serve which is huge, and takes me far into the day.
If you were also eating other things in the same meal, make less.
There is no reason why you couldn't put oats in there.

I mostly don't use the microwave.
I've heard people cast dispersions on them, as opposed to health giving qualities .

A good tablespoon /15ml of chia seed plus the flaxseed portion above is what I need atm for my feet to remain happy to be walked on.
If I haven't has the chia seed at lunch I'll add it to cook with rice and veg + whatever protein evening meal. It really bulks up that meal, or thickens a smoothy when left to swell 10 min or so.
I tried buckwheat or quinoa with evening meal but decided in the end I needed the carbs in the rice as part of my day/ night.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:53 pm

Honestly, from your post, I just learned about flakes of either quinoa or buckwheat, Lynlee - I must search more diligently but at this point, from memory, would predict I can't find either flakes here. That is a really good thing to know exists, though. I know I searched most recently on that aisle for farrow and could find only the unhulled from Italy, which is fine but not what I had in mind, super chewy. So I'm thinking that the selection of grains and seeds etc. available around me may not be stellar.

Good job on the pain relief with the chia. I also try to get in some turmeric at some point through the day for inflammation, though that is for savory foods. HRH simply takes the capsules of that because he doesn't want to miss a day of it. And good job getting a much better quantity of flaxseed than I am right now - a tbsp is what is recommended and I know I'm falling behind while chasing this recipe duplicate.

Thanks so much for your recipe, too. I will consider again whether I really need to leave 15 mins for cooking buckwheat - I have had no input but a back of a package! I might like it better less cooked. Now here's where you're going to have to help me out visually - to me, an egg cup is 1/4 of a Cup or a little less. Is that about right? If so, you and I are starting with about the same base amount for breakfast. I do add fruits bits, lately during this winter, frozen wild blueberries and cutting up 1/3rd mango since they are only recently available here in winter and have caught my imagination.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:28 pm

Harriet - 2 eggcups would be about 3/8 cup . I found a 1/8 cup measure and did some guessing. 1/4 cup would be plenty, I guess. I just found it easy to use the egg cup.
https://www.bobsredmill.com/catalogsear ... eat+cereal
Organic Creamy Buckwheat Hot Cereal (top left) is what I think I saw in the shop.
It was in a health food shop here.
The Quinoa flakes I can buy in the supermarket. I've no idea if anyone squashes / rolls quinoa in the US.
I haven't looked through all the mix grain versions of bob's red mill cereals, but there may be something there that would suit you.
I tend to mix my own to save some money, not that I've costed his versions..

PS - Red Mill tapioca flour is what I first found in a supermarket here. It gives things a different texture when added to a mix. Stretchy and chewy. Not good on GI rating though.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Over halfway through this month and only down about 1.5 pounds. I was down 2 but then was away over the weekend so up again this morning. Sigh. There's a whole week away in May.

I've been counting most days (skipped yesterday because it was not possible to count breakfast with any accuracy.) I'm still not to the point of bringing my scale with some containers to measure the food on my plate, but I'm getting close. I asked for only 1/2 serving of potatoes but got the same as dh. I only ate about 1/3. Ended up eating all my toast but at least it was dry. Left almost half the sausage. I wasn't enjoying it.

Lunch was a mess because it was late due to the drive and I got into crackers to have with my soup.

I had the rest of the soup today but with a bagel. Even giving up the burger bun tonight I'll be 300 calories over on the day. So it won't be a stellar day. But the relentless ice and wind on the window is calling out carbs to me and I can't go walk them off. On the treadmill now but am short protein so will have to add cheese to my dinner tonight.

The only plus to the week away in May will be swimming at the hotels. I swam (not-drowned) for 25 minutes yesterday and loved it. Had the pool all to myself and did laps. I guess I'm used to the treadmill so pool laps don't bore me. I'm so pleased I am not drowning that I guess my brain says "This is Great!"

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:46 pm

Back from walking the dog just before it started to rain perfect timing.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:47 pm

Racked up a perfect 24-point day today on Daily Dozen, my first one in April. Noticed I was coming close lacking one fruit, grabbed a small banana, and that put me over the top.

breakfast the current stand-by
lunch stir-fry tofu, broccoli, carrot, bok choy, red onion, shitake and brown beech mushrooms, kale, bean sprouts
supper with HRH peppers bean and onion dish over rice, banana

thinking how I might make it a "string" of two days in a row. Not sure. toddlerC will be here and has a tendency to make grandma eat absentmindedly.

Lynlee, the look of that package is not something I've seen, although we have that brand. I'll ask store managers - I am never shy about finding out!

Swimming - what fun!

Did a cardio workout from Den ise Aus tin. Hadn't "seen" her in a while and she's so peppy, it looked colorful, so why not. I do notice about her the things that have bothered me in the past re: her cue-ing is either late or early. All in all, though, I can see why she's been a constantly popular workout teacher, always so enthusiastic and encouraging, and brings her additional focus of elevating mood. Went to her web site just to take note and I'm glad (since we are less than a year apart) she's got lots going on, new workouts. She's mostly about monthly small-cost sign-on programs these days, where you give your email, and I'm way too sidetrackable to get into that, but nice to know.

Did sign on for a free week of online "summit" on nutrition and got some good use out of that but a lot went by the wayside, too, because I didn't have enough time to give to 3 and 4 lectures a day. Of course now I get an email a day from the organizers, with hopes I'll sign up for more. They have high reputation, so it's no big deal. But it does give me pause to know if you sign up for something, you do put yourself into that data base - make sure you want that.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:17 pm

Managed to string a 2nd perfect 24-checkmarks day in line, Monday and Tuesday. Looks good on my healthy habits document because, believe me, I type "perfect" in capital letters for my scores! Today looks doubtful, though; there have been cookies. :| Not that there is such a thing as demerits, lol, but desserts are filling, so less likely you' be hungry for foods for which you get credit.

Tuesday was
breakfast the current stand-by
lunch wild/brown rice, crowders, collards, bok choy and kale
supper whole foods shake of avocado fruits and nuts
snack cucumber strips with hummus dip

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:10 pm

I mowed the front yard for my exercise today.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:08 am

Mid-month review (a little late!)

I am finding the FoF Step easy food plan easy to follow. It is becoming so simple that it is a no-brainer. Food is just something my body needs instead of something that I am constantly thinking about, trying to decide what I will eat and the horrible cravings & bingeing. There is a saying in the FoF group "Food in one hand, life in the other, don't clap". For the longest time, I didn't understand what that saying was about. Now I get it. I am thankful and grateful to finally find a way of eating that is healthy and easy to do.

My weight loss has seemed to slow down. I'm reminding myself that isn't my focus but I admit to not being thrilled by it. Instead of 2 lbs a week I'm now averaging 1.4 lbs weight loss a week. I have lost 4.2 lbs this month. I am reminding myself that weight loss (or gain) doesn't happen on a straight line and the wax/wane of weight is normal. However, just because I mentally know that fact doesn't eliminate my frustration. I have a spreadsheet that shows my weight with 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 1 year, 2 years and 3 years weight change. When I look at the big picture my weight loss is showing consistent good results. I'm trying to be content and realistic. But I admit there is a part of me that is frustrated because my weight loss is slowing down. But on the good side.....it is happening!!

I am having zero success on consistent exercise. I really need to up my effort and focus. I am going to enroll DS9 in a 6 week Tai Chi class and take it with him. That twice a week class starts next week. But my main focus and desire are to establish an early morning daily walking program (again). I feel so much better when that habit is in place.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:22 pm

I have done some yard work & walked the dog for my exercise today.

Return to “Healthy Habits”