March Declutter - Mentoring Each Other, 2019

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
blessedw2

Re: March Declutter - Mentoring Each Other, 2019

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:17 am

I have temporarily put my photos on hold - i can't find the cord for my scanner.
plus we are going through the remainder of things from our basement that were both dd's. I thought we had a bad mouse problem at one point but with all the boxes etc. we didn't see them (we get them every year when it gets cold). I hesitate using chemicals as we have cats and they will die if they eat a mouse that had been killed with chemicals. (plus what a horrible way to go). I figure traps would have been easier but dh put it off and put it off so I have decided to take matters into my own hands. it must make him uncomfortable.

donated a white kitchen bag of dd youngers cloths she said to get rid of. yay.
dd older is going through her keepsakes boxes this weekend.

dd younger and I went through her old school books and they and the papers are all recycled. I hated getting rid of the chemistry papers - it just shows me that I should take a class in bio and chemistry as I am the one who likes the sciences.

proud of myself - I picked out all the travel tee shirts dd younger had and prepped them for project repat where they make it into a quilt. yes I could sew it but I am busy. I have it packaged to send out tomorrow. yay!

dh cut down all the empty boxes and set them for recycling.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:57 pm

dd younger got rid of a couple more boxes - yeah

dh took another load to donation centre - 3 bags white worth.
I keep thinking I have gotten rid of all my stuff. was I wrong.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:31 pm

A corner was becoming a catch-all and I decluttered it today. Just a few things left for HRH to go through. How easy that corner will be to clean now, with only the decor that is intended for it!

I've learned to look at a room in a timeless way - what is my vision for this room always, not just what I can put up with today. Because "today" turns into a few days and then a week, etc.

For our busy household, this may mean that some rooms need to be "in flux" of course. Office, sewing for instance - these are working spaces and projects there have purpose. It is reassuring that projects aren't "in the way" there, but have a space to stay out while we're working on them, doing a careful job. (taxes are a good example lately)

Other rooms are welcoming only if they are clear - it's non-negotiable. Dining area jumps out at me on this. Yes, the table is convenient, and its point-of-entry to the house is convenient, but that only means I have a challenge in finding ways to meet needs without allowing the space to become unwelcoming.

blessed, your concept of using face-time online to make decisions with a family member when it's convenient - that's really interesting. I'm glad it's working for you and dh with the dds. Did your organizing dd come up with that or Kat or just you yourself?

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:28 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBTP5yH9qbA came across this re: swedish death cleaning. interesting. after going through my sweet straightened put away dearest mom in law with family I could see why my grandmother (french side) kept things stream lined.

When I was in my early 30's I went to class on how to organize. There was a very sweet woman who was definitely burdened on how to get her act together. I say she was about 70 maybe later 60's with a cane. She went to the instructor saying that she couldn't get it together and had so much stuff to go through. I thought about her and I prayed that I hope i would get my act together. I wish i would have gotten to know her to help. (lol like I could help make decisions).

I think that is why I found this video interesting. I found it today and I had heard about swedish death cleaning but never knew what it was about. very interesting.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:42 am

hi d harriet and hi d all.

yay on getting rid of the catch all! I am finding it easier to clean when the clutter is gone and things on counter tops are put away too. good for you!!!

I've learned to look at a room in a timeless way - what is my vision for this room always, not just what I can put up with today. Because "today" turns into a few days and then a week, etc.
oh my gosh, I am keeping this!!! Harriet the Wise.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:45 am

can you believe it was I who thought of the photography and video. Dd younger gets overwhelmed with too many decisions and has begun to trust that I will not toss with out asking. I spoke to Kat and to dd older on how to work with things. For me I would love to toss the whole caboodle and keep only what can be kept in her closet.

I now have almost everything in one spot in the 3 season room right now. we did a lot of pictures first and corresponding.

Dd older suggested leaving the shoes last, her jewelry last and her books last. She said that would stop the process.

As I opened boxes I let her choose and put off anything that was hard for her to decide later. I couldn't save things - some things got ruined and she didn't even hesitate and told me to toss.

(yesterday was a good example of a hard decision making on dd's part) We have come to a hard one: her purses! I will put this last again as she can't seem to let go even though they really should go).

I am Only hitting her with a small group of choices a day has helped. leaving her free some days even if I want to continue.

Kat is helping me break it down in my mind as I got over whelmed before working things out with dd younger. She has me focus on one thing at a time and not do too much as I tend to burn out quickly. It took me a whole 2 weeks of bringing things upstairs to the 3 season room and I am not done yet.

I thought of separating it by categories so she sees it all together. she has tons of jackets and sailing gear. the sailing gear will go last along with her books.

I am looking at things: if anything happens to myself or dh, I don't want dd to be burdened with her stuff. Bc it could send her backwards. I am hoping this helps her the rest of her life. lol it sounds so dramatic! I know dd and I know her relationship that things remind her of loved ones but she is making great strides.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:05 pm

yesterday day dh and I went through his library to see how we could make room. I took out all my books and some junk ones from no body.
so today I donated 19 books (including cook books) and recycled 11 books. kept 7 - kept all of dd youngers for her to make a decision.
I even donated my techniques book by Jacques Pepin - I have gone through it and loved that time I had but now it goes to another beginner young cook. still in great shape.

I really wish our library took books bc this is a good one.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:17 pm

Blessed, you are doing so good! So many people can't do what you are doing now.

From DH's F Book page today:

Wife to Husband: I have all these clothes I want to go to donation.
Husband: Why don't you just throw them all away? It's easier.
Wife: But there are all these starving people who could use these clothes!
Husband: Trust me, starving people could never use your size clothes.

Husband is still getting over the head injury.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:34 pm

Oh my gosh - too too funny!!! loved it d harmony!!!

Yes this has been really hard and is taking so much time. I know, for now, i am able to work at it. lol am not going to complain. it just takes so long. ;)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:00 am

I am counting the ECO Load of branches we hauled off this weekend.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”