Art, Craft and Needlework, April 2019

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, April 2019

Postby Harriet » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:01 pm

We emerge from March with many successes!

Nancy made puppets, garden sketches, paper mache pots and curtains
Twins' Mom stamped up a storm and even let us see photos in MO
Booksaver facilitated sewing camp success and had 3 sewing finishes herself
Harmony sewed 2 cushion covers and a bolster cover, plus various mending
Harriet chose final 3 blocks' fabric, drafted last 1, & made 3 project baggies

Organizational/calendaring were important to us last month, especially for BookSaver, who inspired us by doing a 30-day challenge of sewing one seam a day. I followed somewhat and got some order restored in my creative world, with all fabrics not chosen for the 3 project baggies put away. (what a concept)

All this is great news, considering ... .. (take a deep breath) that that's the way we finished up the first quarter of the year. Yipes! But what fun we'll have in the coming three quarters!

What's going on in your creative world?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, April 2019

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:14 pm

I finished up a biege puppet with pink mouth & blue eyes last evening and started another one today it is lavendar 75 % done now.
I have fabric bags cut out and ready to seam up.

Most of my time has been focused on the yard this month till we got rains.
I made a fabric gift bag this morning with a ribbon drawstring.
Did another bag.
Have the next batch of four under construction as well. Done! These are purple corderoy.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:21 am

I've been mostly off stamping lately but this a.m. I am going to "stamp camp" where we make three cards - she has precut everything so we mostly just assemble. I'll order a few needed supplies also.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:54 am

Working on another puppet.
I saw some sail cloth type fabric at the store with tea service print on it I am trying to decide what it could be made into. I waited to get it until I had a specific project in mind.
I am considering making an apron, or set for dd & dgd around mothers day.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Dd was by here last night and afterward was going to pick up something for an elderly congregant who has been recently hospitalized and is recuperating at home. I took the opportunity to pull out a card "Thinking of You" to sign and have dd take. I need to remember to use my cards!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:02 pm

Had holes in the fabric on my fav. Shirt above the too long cuffs so I cut them
off and the shirt tail is now even and hemmed sleeves & bottom of that shirt.
I had not done that before so am confident I can repeat this on other shirts now and
Can do a cheat seam to shorten sleeve length so cuffs fit next!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:21 pm

Today I made eye glass cases. I had a big piece of material, the kind that is already quilted. I'd made a nice little tote bag (small size) for DMom years and years ago and had this piece left. It was cream color with burnt orange wee flowers all over and the other side is burnt orange with cream wee flowers.

Wanted one for my glasses in the family room. Showed DH after I made the first one. Did he want one for his pair at his end table? Yes! And how about for my 3 trucks where I keep reading glasses? Ok I can do that, how about for the pair you keep at the kitchen table? YES! Silly me, I thought he wouldn't care about using something like this. He always just threw his glasses down wherever he was...

So I made those. Then one for my desk, one for the computer room, one for my purse, one for my sunglasses, one for my bedroom, one for the snack bar where I sort mail... then DH says what about mine at my desk back by the computer? Ok made that last one.

12 made! I should go into production!

Embellished one with ribbon. Some I seamed on the outside with bias tape to cover seams. Some I put contrasting fabric flap at the top; some I seamed up the sides, some just on one side. They're not all perfect but I think they're pretty.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:45 pm

Harmony, wow 12, and they sound pretty and protective. I can't believe you got so many complete in one day. And you may have hit on a good choice for some small/multi Christmas gifting there, too. :idea: I mean when I read that Mr. Harmony was so receptive, I thought, really, everyone has some reading or sun glasses they'd like to keep track of safely, even if they don't have a prescription. Did you go by a pattern?

FruitPlatterSmallApril2019.jpg

Here's my "fruit carving" (super simple) for the Easter breakfast at church. This time I went totally by Mr. P's youtube video he calls "lesson 1", but because my papaya's center seeds were not very pretty this time, I substituted a strawberry. (He makes this papaya flower on a couple other videos)
Also I cored the pineapple. (I don't have a corer, but a knife can manage.) I assumed we would use solid color tablecloths, but found out when I arrived that the green check had been chosen for casual buffet, so the green of the kiwi is lost on the clear platter. Hindsight makes me think how easy to already have a white napkin cut so it unfolds into a circle for under the platter.

Dd39 tells me, "The clear platter is not a mistake--you have created a floating fruit star."
:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:35 pm

How gorgeous, Harriet! What a creative thing to do, I'm sure it was much admired!

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:28 pm

Harmony, your glasses cases sound so pretty.

Harriet, your fruit platter looks so pretty and delicious.

I really miss doing the little bit of creativity I was doing. I have two unfinished quilts and lots of ideas for things I want to do. Most of my material and craft supplies are packed. I dream of the days when I can start up again, life can be so boring without that outlet.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Return to “The Creative Home”