Health and Fitness, June 2019

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, June 2019

Postby Harriet » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:46 pm

Are you ready for June? :shock: Is it hard to believe it's here? Wow. May found us discussing lots of fitness and health topics, like struggles with restaurant menus, foods that cause reactions, accuracy (or not) of TDEE formulas, fun with back-to-the-gym, the joy of a puppy walk-partner, adding flaxseed to the diet, changing tastes, and plenty more! And we rejoiced that Dee can get back to her more active self again! :)

Also in May, did you know... ... the World Health Organization acknowledged "burnout" as a syndrome, although they address it only in the workplace. It is not considered a potential diagnosis, but can now be listed as a factor contributing to a health problem and a reason someone is seeking help. (The WHO's International Classification of Diseases directs our "ICD"s. That's those billing codes that healthcare providers and insurance companies use to track why patients are seeking care.)

So the accepted medical definition of burnout (in the workplace) now becomes : "depletion and exhaustion, negativism and cynicism, reduced professional efficacy".

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, June 2019

Postby Nancy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:51 pm

Sat. Exercise was shopping and walking to and from graduation on colkage campus.
Sun. Exercise Was moving concrete blocks and setting up an out door bbq, and mowing.
Mon. Shopped & walked for my exercise.
Tues. Walked and did gardening for mt exercise.
Wed. Walked and did my gardening for exercise.
Thurs. I did my exercise on the stat bike.
Fri. I walked the dog.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:36 pm

I’m staying on my eating plan. Did 3.3 miles on my gazelle on Sunday. Did more squats and squat work that I care for on Friday but am very surprised I’m not really sore.

Tonight at the gym we will do max weight squats and Wednesday max weight bench presses. This is done so when we do set of reps we know what weights we need for ourselves.

Usually set are set up like this: 5x12 at 60%, which means 5 sets of 12 reps at 60% of my max weight. So if I could lift 100lbs, which I can’t yer lol, I would start out at 60lbs

This is how my workout is set up after we do, as a group, a bunch of warm up exercises.

5x12 60%. 5x5@ 70% 3x3 @ 80%, with resting time between each set.

I can only bench press 60lbs at the moment. It’s a start. When I left the gym two years ago I could bench press 115lbs. See if you don’t use it you really do loose it. Don’t know how long it will take me to work back up to 115, but that’s my goal for the moment.... and I hope to loose my batwings under my arms again :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:19 pm

Great, Ramblin'. Let us know how you progress. Hope you see that improvement in arms, and especially that you have a good time with it.

In May I had 4 perfect checkoff chart days.

It's been easy to find brightly colored peppers at low prices lately, and I've been enjoying those.

I helped dd39 find research on beets for timed aerobic events and recovery.

RunKitty I agree with you that there's a fine line between getting in all the nutritious servings and making sure you don't eat too much food. I suspect myself of having "servings" that are larger than a true expected serving, sometimes. Dr. Greger's book to be published in December will be about keeping ideal weight. That's one I wish I could preview, lol. I know in April he was quoted citing new research that found increasing the percentage of daily food eaten at breakfast was weight-favorable, so that's one thing I bet the book will mention. He actually said "spoiler alert" at that moment, so of course I was all ears, lol.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:13 pm

Well, if that is true, Harriet, I will have to start eating breakfast again.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:22 pm

That's very interesting about Dr. Greger's new book, Harriet. I'm glad the research seems to support eating more early in the day. That works best for me, although I don't eat much for breakfast. I drink a lot though!! And after a big salad and maybe half a sandwich for lunch, I'm not really interested in having anything more than a snack in the late afternoon. The IF people won't be happy to hear that news. The ones I know don't eat until 1 p.m. and then eat until around 7 p.m. They probably won't be reading his book anyway.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:03 pm

I was pleased I didn't want to eat any of the food at the ballpark. I did have a hamburger and baked beans and a beer. The HB maybe wasn't the worst choice, but I did not want the wings, hot dog, macaroni and cheese, popcorn and other small snacks, and cobbler. Most of what I ate didn't taste very good, but I hadn't eaten since lunch and needed to.

I am back on my walking plan this week to average 8K steps daily. Today may be difficult because of the rain and because we go to temple tonight. I didn't get 8K yesterday but had enough from earlier in the week to get the average up.

Weight dropped below 170 again this morning, I can't seem to stay there yet but it's coming, especially since I'm walking and eating well again.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:32 pm

RunKitty, it's so strange that we happened to chat about this here, but he's announced today he's hosting a 3-hour live webinar plus a finish of a Q and A session on July 26th at 2pm ET on what studies show about intermittent fasting. There's a list of about 8 or 9 types/topics of IF, focusing on weight control. Anytime after the 26th, it will be a $20 donation for a digital copy of the 4 hours. And later in the year (but not scheduled) he's going to do one with a focus on what studies are showing about IF for health conditions. I'm interested to hear about that since it's going to touch on autoimmune.

I've been stressed out over the pained transition at church and I'm sure it's affecting my health. A study member told us Tuesday she hadn't slept well for 2 nights since that speaker, who seemed helpful at first but then lapsed into the same ugly talk I feared. He was definitely speaking to the wrong crowd, and it resulted in an opposite effect, but still it was confrontational (yes, I spoke up, but don't tell anyone I had nerves, lol - trying to appear calm). Then the Tuesday study was very affected by people's responses to that, etc. Sigh. When you have something unsettling on your mind, you get absentminded and healthy habits suffer. But time passes and heals. come ooooonnn August! lol

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:30 pm

Truth is on your side, Harriet, and will prevail. Hope you can remain calm and watch as a just and harmonious outcome unfolds.

I am now eagerly awaiting the webinar by Dr. Greger. It's so good to have someone trustworthy who will read all the studies and enterpret them fairly. You read so much about IF and I really want to know what the results of those studies show. July 26th has a star on my calendar now.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:56 am

I have a neighbor that talked about her new eating regimine that she started in Jan. She is looking fit.

I have walked the dog a mile we are now back on track. I will be increasing maybe to walk additional time on the evening.
[We have winds in our forecast today.]

Return to “Healthy Habits”