July Declutter and Organization, 2019

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
blessedw2

Re: July Declutter and Organization, 2019

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:21 am

You are such an organized thinker. You will be able to consolidate all these ideas
d harriet I ditto that about d harmony.

Ok, moving on from all that. Stamping my foot, standing my ground, and moving right along
I am joining you d harmony! Yes I do think most women have a sense of things not spoken (but are there in energy). It's great that you spoke to your dh.
" I finally got out of dh what he was thinking about all this". I understand this process as my dh is the same.
good for you on de-junking!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:49 pm

made a small donation at the charity shop.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:27 pm

So, I am adjusting my thinking, looking more around here and thinking more of this as my forever home; out of the 'temporary' mode I had gotten into. Back to normal I'd think.

I just read Marie Kondo's last book, which is more a how-to one than her first was. Some of it very very basic. But no matter what I read on this subject, I always find some kernel of wisdom to take away. As I was reading, those places around here that aren't how I really want them to be kept coming to mind. She is right about that one thing...those things and places that aren't right and that we don't love do hold us back somewhat.

I thought she had some mental...something...going on in her growing up years when I read the first book. In this one, she admits to having a nervous breakdown. Also, she tells the story of the family photographs they went through and the albums she made... and she says "I had always felt kind of distant from my parents, but when I look at each photograph, I think about how they really did love me and did their best to raise me - ..." So I think she has reached some sort of balance.

She cleans out a house in in one big effort, all at once. P&P did it a little each day. Very different styles. Maybe not everything works for everyone the same way. I know there's people who have been decluttering for years and years and never seem to get done. I'm somewhere in the middle. 15 min. a day isn't enough for me, but a big chunk of time seems just about right to me. Maybe that's why I'm not ever 100% done.

Today I did one drawer in the kitchen, put several plastic things for toddlers in the recycle and 1 in the donation bin. I believe it would be a lot of years before I'd have toddlers around here again. I still have places in here to look at.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:56 pm

After a vacuum cleaner malfunction because of a stuck quarter (sigh), I did finish completely cleaning the large pet-supplies cabinet. Some decisions made on containers that will help me with using that space well.

That word "map" kept my attention. I walked the house and mapped (really just listed !) places that need me.

I've gotten my new Great Box Countdown card made out. (Great Pile Countdown?) :D On an ordinary 3x5 card I can have 20 lines for 20 mini-declutters. A heading, "date begun", and then 8 numbered lines on the front with 9 through 20 on the back.

On just this first day of carrying it around to write, 17 of 20 lines are filled. :oops: Of 17, only 5 are actually boxes. 3 are shelves. 2 are furniture "cubbies". So 7 couldn't be described with any nicer word than "pile". :|

No problem finding mini stickers for check-offs of lines on the card, since the grandchildren give me reasons to have some around. I hope to "have my card filled" soon. Believing that the stickers will keep up my enthusiasm.

Harmony, I think this exercise is another proof to me that I do best with manageable portions of chores. I need starting places and stopping places to keep on track and upbeat about it.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:07 pm

hello d harmony and d harriet - just a quick hi. I can't read stuff now but I know I am thrilled for you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:23 am

d harriet smart about making a list of places, in your home, that need your attention. (I hope you don't mind, but I am going to steal that from you! 8-) :D

I've gotten my new Great Box Countdown card made out. (Great Pile Countdown?) :D On an ordinary 3x5 card I can have 20 lines for 20 mini-declutters. A heading, "date begun", and then 8 numbered lines on the front with 9 through 20 on the back.

On just this first day of carrying it around to write, 17 of 20 lines are filled. :oops: Of 17, only 5 are actually boxes. 3 are shelves. 2 are furniture "cubbies". So 7 couldn't be described with any nicer word than "pile". :
I love this d harriet!!!

I will say the same thing : about the manageable portions of chores. thinking too big tends to make me loose focus; nothing gets done!

D Harmony yay on adjusting your thinking. It's huge.
PUlling a kernel of wisdom that works for you, is a great thing.
It's very interesting about Marie Kondo's enlightenment. That must give her so much peace.
. Maybe not everything works for everyone the same way.
very true.
I also worked at the 15 minutes a day and that didn't work for me bc I was so stressed and felt bad about it. I only do one hour (two tops) a week on decluttering (mostly in fall/winter/spring).

yay on your work d Harmony!!!

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:15 pm

I decluttered a corner of the kitchen this evening. I did it right before taking the trash out to the curb so that anything that was trash left the house immediately.

There were 3 plastic ice cream buckets that were old but I could have used them again if I had taken the time to scrub them clean. However, I decided to put them in the recycle bin instead because I bet I'll have the opportunity to replace at least 1 of them some time this summer. 8-)

Next spot in the kitchen will be a cupboard full of stuff, but it's too late to start that tonight.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:42 am

Wonderful d Book!!!
yay on your de-cluttering the kitchen ice cream containers and other things. good for you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:56 pm

I decluttered a small box of donations, and good sized bag of plastic sacks, delivered them today.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:12 am

yay - you have done so well with your de-cluttering!!! wow d Nancy - great job.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”