***Holiday Planning, 2019***

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harmony

Re: ***Holiday Planning, 2019***

Postby Harmony » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:28 pm

Harriet, I hope you like the new tree. What I like about having an artificial one is that I can put it up earlier, take it down later and enjoy it longer. Especially here where it's warm, the artificial one actually makes more sense. We find the lights cheer up a dreary day and always hate to take it down.

I made the tote bag with a cardboard circle in the bottom. I had a bigger circle of material cut out to glue on it, over the edges to the back. But the tote is blue and white...and guess what I couldn't find any stiff cardboard so I cut a bankers box lid...which was a nice bright blue on one side. So I didn't put the material on and it looks just right.

Tonight I printed out a piece of stationery, printed with a fall motif, a red bird and apples, acorns, corn, wheat...but unfortunately I don't have a colored printer so it's black and white..so I'll get out my coloring pencils and fix it up. I have a letter to answer and wanted it to be like Thanksgiving!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:32 pm

Do over on a roll recipe. Today pratice makes perfect. Is my motto.keep trying.
Got cards with wise men on them.
Got holiday mugs.

Just got a great Idea for tags on cards with Christmas $ in them.

Got the letter done for the card that goes the furtherest.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:16 am

Normally I would wait till the 1st. But we have a family thing. So I got the Christmas decor up last nite on Turkey Thursday.
I still need to put the totes back down stairs. Done.
Dson took the bowls that I got to go with his set while thrifting, he appreciated them said they do not make them any more
And he might need them at the family dinner.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:47 pm

It's time for full steam ahead on Christmas prep.

I have crocheted half of the dish scrubbies needed for gifts. Ran out of supplies and need to wait for the online order to arrive before I can make any more.

I've decided on the pattern for the shopping bag I will make for the co-worker whose name was assigned to me. Need to find the pattern but I think I know where it is so I will look for that tonight. I have found acceptable fabrics in my stash. Now I need to find time to sew.

I bought a cute little container of Santa chocolates to put with the shopping bag for co-worker.

My family will gather Christmas Eve for supper. DSis offered to make 3 soups with the rest of us bringing sandwich fixings and sides. Then DSis got her work schedule and now she has to work a full 8 hours that day. I suggested that instead of the soups that take a lot of kitchen time & effort for her, I will cook a big pot of sloppy joes meat and everyone else can bring the buns, condiments, chips, etc. I can start cooking and freezing ahead in small batches as I have the time. The next time I go to buy groceries, I'll buy more ground beef since I don't think we have enough in the freezer right now for the large group. I'll need to get a solid head count the weekend before Christmas to be sure I'm cooking enough.

I've made the sloppy joes twice now for my sewing group and everyone liked the recipe enough that I didn't have any leftovers to bring home to DH. The last time I made it, I cooked it more than a week ahead and put in the freezer. I didn't notice any negative change in the taste or texture from cooking it right before the meal, and obviously no one else did, either.

I already bought all of the ingredients for the nachos that were in the original plan, so I will go ahead and make that for Christmas Eve as well. We will have the nacho sauce in the small crock pot and the sloppy joe meat in the large crock pot.

Must not forget to make fudge. I already have those ingredients in the cupboard. I can't make that too far in advance, though, as the texture changes over time.

OK, that's the plan for gifts and my family's party.

We have not heard anything from DH's family. Each of his siblings have children, grandchildren, and the oldest DB now has great-grandchildren. Locations are rather wide-spread. It's really difficult to schedule family parties with them but I hope we will be able to see at least a few.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:23 pm

Note to self What not to do, do not buy butter ball ready to cook tky. Breast. Yuck not a fan.
It was a joy to see dgds using "secret" fam recipe to make stove top, and gravey packets!
And green bean casserole from directions on the can.
The buffet had the best of the three turkeys we had.
Dson did a new brine w critus on his thius year I liked it.
One thing that surprised me was a jar of cheese sauce was a hit I grabbed on a whim dgd took with her when she had left overs.

Decor was a breeze with table top tree this yr.

Shopped at home glad I had food in the freezer for this week, veg. Quick bread, & meat.

Got all but a few items out of the front of the house. I woll get the reaining containers tomorrow it i s supposed to be warmer.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:42 am

We have a plan for Christmas. DD is hosting. We offered to get a room somewhere so kids don't have to give up their room, but she said they don't care about that, just come. So. Now the hard part is getting there through all the freeways and traffic.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:10 pm

Tree lights plugged in on the 6th, so right on time with previous years' schedules, maybe slightly early. I'm tempted to wrap some of these large presents next, rather than decorating - don't know. Hmmm... .. which would dd rather do with me when she gets back from school and work... Another thing to consider is that the ornaments take up tables, chairs, etc. when they all get pulled down.

The large presents are HRH and ds' ideas for presents for ds' children - I'd never have agreed to this. We're giving the big sports equipment like a practice net and some other large accessory, a fishing rod for granddaughter. All 3 are taller than the children they'll be given to, difficult to wrap, and will not be "under the tree" but standing/leaning up beside it, I guess. I will try shoving one along the floor at the wall, behind the tree, but don't know if that will make sense at gift-giving time, with little kids tugging at them.

Btw, couples should agree on gifts!!!! Another drawback to letting HRH choose gifts - two monopoly games are being given by us and I truly cannot stand to have to play monopoly, which seems like punishment to me, or worse, kidnapping. :( Dstepson will get the twice-as-long monopoly game (twice the kidnapping of the poor friends and family roped into playing with him) and dd39's children will get dinosaur monopoly. I'm putting HIS name on the tags! I will run if someone suggests the givers should have to play!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:19 pm

I got an idea Christmas dinner if needed might be at the same place we had Thanksgiving,
unless I decide to clean and cook. :roll:

Made it to the bank so now I can do gift cards next week.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:49 pm

I don't like to play Monopoly either, Harriet. First of all it's too long a game. 2nd, if we're playing with DH he is too serious like it's real money and a real bank account. :roll: But I have one game worse than that: Risk. Armies capturing countries and this one can go on for days and days. We got stuck in a back and forth thing last time we played and couldn't get out of the situation and went back and forth off and on all day.

I have 4 things left to get, everything needs wrapped and the cards need done, oh and there's the cookies or whatever I'm making to take up on Christmas. Lots of things are big this year so that'll be a challenge to get it all packed up and up there.

I'm glad I'm not taking fishing rods and sorts equipment! The game we made is quite big enough.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:04 pm

Family is low carb conscious so ...
Had to rethink giving those quick breads have lasted
we sliced em up for hubby's lunches he is very pleased to have enough on hand for the month!
I did freezer invetory.

Not a card or table game fan of any sort.
I do enjoy puzzles however.

Had good success today some items that were out of stock came in since I hgave been at the store yea!

Return to “The Creative Home”