The Paper Tamer's Desk, 2019

A place for organizing, simplifying, checklists, challenges and ta-das.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: The Paper Tamer's Desk, 2019

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:16 pm

I've started the scanning of credit card files as the March 9 shredding deadline looms. I'm actually thrilled with how this is going. I still have one HUGE and one sort-of HUGE files to scan but once they are done, I'll have 'broken the back' of this project.

This isn't technically true because the investment files are also a mess, compounded by the fact that I haven't got them all entered into Quicken so I can't just scan and toss, I have to do the data entry as well. This is likely a month or two long project.

But the main filing cabinet is getting an empty feel to it now. Which means I'll be able to move the investment paperwork into the main filing cabinet eventually which will binders and boxes and a file frame out of the living room. Woooot!!!!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed May 29, 2019 9:04 pm

Did anyone have follow-up thoughts or reminders they'd like to make to themselves for tax seasons?

I think we made the right decision to move with the person we knew. Although her tendency to take longer than she estimates seems to have continued. That caused a bit of frustration this year, but not enough to dwell on.

The general changes I made in filing around here are still working well. I'm going straight to the right paperwork when needed.

Found on A-river the unusual size of envelopes and the binder I had needed. That helps.

It may not exactly be paper-taming, but my friend at church was right that I was able to renew my driver's license in about 20 minutes online. I could immediately print out a temporary license, so it doesn't matter that the new one has to wait for mailing. What a savings, personally, over standing in a line. What I don't understand is, since my last license was 8 years and this one is 8 years, how is it going to help anyone that my new license will ultimately have a photo that is 16 years old?

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:56 pm

The most helpful thing I do is still the same as every year. I have my accordion file folder with manila folders inside. Anything that comes during the year that I need for my taxes go right in there. I'm not sifting through piles looking for tax information at the end. All the tax stuff for our business goes in there too. Every month there is another spreadsheet or two. So at the end it's easy to grab the last few things and take it to the man.

I'm just amazed at how many people just don't file their taxes. I wonder how they get away with that. I'm sure at some point it catches up with them. I have a clear plastic vinyl pocket with about 12 W2's in from that one year 3 years ago that we had a bunch of employees. Everybody moved away and I only got about 3 delivered...the rest came back to me. All the phone numbers but one were no longer in service. A couple had message boxes too full to leave a message. Me, I'd rather not be worried about what trouble I got in by not doing them.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:11 pm

I am back onto paper tamers task because October to December this year everything went out the window.

can't wait for the paper tamers 2020
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Return to “Organization and Simplification Tools”