Meat Recipes

Emptynester

A Quick Ground Beef Recipe

Postby Emptynester » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:09 pm

A Quick Ground Beef Recipe

Add your favorite to ground beef.

I use worchestershire sauce. Sometimes I'll add some garlic or grated onion.

Make into hamburger patties.

Saute slowly until golden a large onion sliced thin. Remove from pan and cook hamburgers.

Top the hamburger with the onion. I serve with mashed potatoes, vegetable and brown gravy.

I like mine with a little A-1 on top.

Contributor: Indiana
It’s never too late to be what you might have been.
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
― C.S. Lewis

Emptynester

Homemade Turkey Sausage

Postby Emptynester » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:10 pm

Homemade Turkey Sausage
by Emptynester on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:38 pm

To 1 pound of ground turkey

1 tea to 1 tablespoon salt
1/2 tsp Thyme
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 to 3/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 to 3/4 tsp Red Pepper
1 tsp sage
1/2 tsp Nutmeg

Mix well - can be made into patties or broken up to use in Sausage and Gravy.
It’s never too late to be what you might have been.
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
― C.S. Lewis

Indiana

Re: Meat Recipes

Postby Indiana » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:59 am

Bestest Ribs Ever

slab baby back ribs
granulated garlic
salt
pepper
dark brown sugar
Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce

With meat side up, salt, pepper and garlic entire slab, then flip over and do the same. Now cut into 3 or 4 rib sections. Place onto a “PAM” sprayed cookie sheet, with edges with meat side up.

Pack 1/4″ of brown sugar onto the meat side.

Put in oven and bake 3 to 4 hours at 250 degrees. Half way through, turn over - meat side down.

After 3-4 hours, increase heat to 350 degrees and generously apply BBQ sauce and cook until sauce is cooked on.

Or before BBQ sauce, place cooked ribs in slow cooker and layer ribs and BBQ sauce, ribs and BBQ sauce. Heat until sauce is cooked on ribs, 30 - 45 minutes or so.

Source: Jennifer Mauek

Contributor: Beth Turek

Note: I use less brown sugar just to cover. These ribs are wonderful.

trish

Sticky Chicken

Postby trish » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:44 pm

Roast Sticky Chicken (from busy cooks)
Recipe By : Lynn Nelson
Serving Size : 6
Spice Mix for 1 Chicken
4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 large roasting chicken -- as big as you can find
1 cup chopped onion .

In a small bowl, thoroughly combine all the spices. Remove giblets from chicken, clean the cavity well and pat dry with paper towels. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin. Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight.

When ready to roast chicken, stuff cavity with onions, and place in a shallow baking pan. Roast, uncovered, at 250 degrees for 5 hours (yes, 250 degrees for 5 hours). After the first hour, baste chicken occasionally (every half hour or so) with pan juices. The pan juices will start to caramelize on the bottom of pan and the chicken will turn golden brown. If the chicken contains a pop-up thermometer, ignore it. Let chicken rest about 10 minutes before carving.

To Freeze.. This can be frozen with just the spice rub on before cooking, but I prefer to make several of these and cook them completely and freeze fully cooked. Simply bag and freeze. Warm in the microwave before serving.

Notes : This recipe is a great way to roast a large chicken for planned leftovers. It is reminiscent of those rotisserie style chickens that are so popular now, and it is very easy to make. The meat comes out very moist and flavorful, so it is as good leftover as freshly cooked. Please try it and you will never roast chicken any other way. You need to start this the night before serving.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:25 am

chicken cacciatore with portobellos and sage

8 bone in skin on chicken thighs (season chicken with salt/pepper) Heat 1 tsp approx oil (I use more) in a dutch oven over medium high heat until hot but not smoking. Add chicken 4 at a time skin side down and cook (don't move them) for about 5 minutes flip and cook another 5 minutes. take them out on place on plate until all are done) (DON'T WORRY THE SKIN WILL BE TOSSED OUT) set aside

drain all but 1 tablespoon of the fat off. then add
1 med onion chopped medium
6 ounces portobello mushroom caps wiped clean and cut into 3/4 inch cubes... (I just used small portobello babies and cut them in half)
1/2 tsp salt
saute for about 6 to 8 minutes until moisture evaporates moist but not dry

while this is cooking... remove and toss skins of chicken thighs

after vegs above are done add 4 med or small (your taste) garlic minced or pressed and cook for about 30 seconds only to make it fragrant.

stir in 1-1/2 tablespoons flour and stir constantly for about a minute

Add then 1-1/2 cups dry red wine (I just grab what ever I have) and scrap bottom of pan (wood spoon)
then stir in 1/2 cup chicken broth (I use lower sodium)
1 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes drained
2 tsp fresh minced thyme leaves
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste

submerge chicken in liquid bring pot to boil and then reduce to low and simmer until chicken is tender (about 45 minutes)
turning chicken halfway through cooking.

If you like you can stir in sage (2 tsp) minced (I didn't but I know it would be good if you like sage)

we served this on top of buttered egg noodles and got tons of A+, my mom really loved it too and her mom was a wonderful cook.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:01 pm

GOULASH
(macaroni casserole, hot dish, whatever your family/region calls it)

Documenting the goulash that we took to family picnic and did not have any leftovers. Greatnephew D (6yo) ate 3 servings at lunch, went off to play for awhile, came back for 2 more servings and then asked to take some home for supper.

This is more elaborate than I normally make it, but I had to do it in sections for time constraints. Adding brand names just in case that turns out to have made a difference.

1+1/2 lbs. 90/10 ground beef (from Sam's Club)
1 large sweet (Vidalia) onion, chopped fine
Extra virgin olive oil (generic store brand)
15 oz. can tomato sauce (Hunts)
6 oz. can tomato paste (Contadina)
Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins)
1 lb. macaroni (generic store brand)

Cook the ground beef several days ahead and freeze it.
Move the cooked beef to the refrigerator at least a day ahead to give it time to thaw.

The morning of the picnic, fill the large pasta pot with plenty of water and bring it to boil. (I know the cooking shows always say to add salt to the water, but I always forget.)

Use the LARGE cast iron Dutch oven to cook the sauce.
Chop the onion rather finely and cook it slowly in olive oil.
Add the thawed cooked ground beef and stir well.
Add tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir well.
Add a couple of splooshes of W sauce (between 1 & 2 tablespoons?) and stir well.
Let the sauce simmer, stirring occasionally.

Add the macaroni to the boiling water and cook until done.
Drain the macaroni well and stir it into the sauce.
Transfer the goulash into the crock pot.

Load everything into the car, drive 45 minutes to the picnic site.
Plug in the crock pot and cook on low while putting tablecloths on the tables, setting out the rest of the food, and waiting for everyone else to arrive. (Maybe 45 minutes?)
Let D eat as much as he wants.
:D

Dove

Postby Dove » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:06 pm

I made one of Indi's recipes the other night & it was so delicious. It's called Roasted Beef with Horseradish Cream. Here's the recipe so you don't have to search her site for it:

Roasted Beef with Horseradish Cream
Posted on March 3, 2009 by livelovelaughlearn

3-4 pounds beef chuck roast

Marinade
1/4 cup oil
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon horseradish
1 teaspoon garlic; minced
1/4 cup parsley; chopped

Horseradish Cream
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon horseradish
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup parsley; chopped

In Dutch oven stir together all marinade ingredients.
Place roast in marinade; turn to coat all sides with marinate. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
Heat oven to 350ø. Bake roast in marinade for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until roast is fork tender.
Meanwhile, in small bowl stir together all horseradish cream ingredients except parsley. Stir in parsley.
Cover; refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve over carved roast. 6 servings
Source: Land O Lakes Treasury of Country Recipes

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:02 pm

ELIZABETH'S OWN MOM'S SWISS STEAK

I've taken the liberty of copying a post from Elizabeth on 10/13/15 left for Harmony just in case anyone else wants to try it:

Harmony: Mom's cube steak recipe: Rinse steaks, salt, pepper, and garlic powder them. Flour the steaks. Heat some oil in a skillet and brown them. It is not necessary to cook them all the way. Remove steaks. Put in enough flour to soak up the oil. (I usually add more oil so I get more gravy). Burn the flour. Yep, you read that right. The flour will be smoking and turn brown. This is a Southern brown gravy, also called roux in Louisiana. Add water and heat to make gravy. Make it thin because it will be boiled down later. To continue cooking on the stovetop: put the steaks back in and boil in the gravy until done. I cannot remember how long this takes, because I never use this method. I will look it up tonight. To continue cooking in the crockpot (more tender IMHO): add meat and gravy to crockpot and cook on low for ~8 hours. My procedure is to do the skillet part in the evening and put it in the fridge. In the morning, I set up the crockpot and it is ready when I get home. Variations: Saute onions and/or bell peppers (or anything you like really) in the oil before browning the steaks. Keep them with the gravy when cooking.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:37 am

Addenda to ELIZABETH'S OWN MOM'S SWISS STEAK
Swiss steak = cube steak

Rinse steaks, salt, pepper, and garlic powder them. Flour the steaks. Heat some oil in a skillet and brown them. It is not necessary to cook them all the way. Remove steaks. Put in enough flour to soak up the oil. (I usually add more oil so I get more gravy). Burn the flour. Yep, you read that right. The flour will be smoking and turn brown. This is a Southern brown gravy, also called roux in Louisiana. Add water and heat to make gravy. Make it thin because it will be boiled down later. To continue cooking on the stovetop: put the steaks back in and boil in the gravy until done about an hour. To continue cooking in the crockpot (more tender IMHO): add meat and gravy to crockpot and cook on low for ~8 hours. My procedure is to do the skillet part in the evening and put it in the fridge. In the morning, I set up the crockpot and it is ready when I get home. Variations: Saute onions and/or bell peppers (or anything you like really) in the oil before browning the steaks. Keep them with the gravy when cooking. The saute is not strictly necessary, you can put the vegs in the skillet when you return the meat, or put them in the crockpot with everything.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:30 am

RUBY CHICKEN

8-9 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
16 oz. can cranberry sauce
1 pkg. onion soup mix, dry
8 oz bottle Western dressing

Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a baking dish with Pam. Mix the sauce ingredients together. Dip the chicken parts in the sauce before placing them in the baking dish. Pour the remaining sauce over the chicken. Bake at 350F for 60 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Notes: A friend made this at sewing camp this weekend, and it only took her a few minutes to put together. She spent more time trying to thaw the chicken breasts to separate them than it took to mix up the sauce. Time to bake will depend on which chicken parts you use. Some online recipes say to use Russian dressing but she used Western. She used the smooth cranberry sauce this time but said sometimes she uses the whole berry sauce.

Return to “Recipes”