Paper Tamers Challenge - Tame by April, 2011

A place for organizing, simplifying, checklists, challenges and ta-das.
Harriet

Paper Tamers Challenge - Tame by April, 2011

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:58 pm

Just think of all the paper chores we need Calgon to take us away from... ... :shock:

Mailbox dailies
Thank you notes
Bill paying
Financial plan
A clear desk?
Refrigerator art
Magazines
Office supplies
Greeting cards to send
Greeting cards received
A filing system?
Medical records
Catalogs
Stash 'n Dash recovery!

(breathe)

That list could go on and on. And Calgon is so unreliable. :| Better take charge.

The days prior to and including April are a helpful time to get caught up on papertaming. For those of us in the U.S. and Canada, there's the specific reason of April tax deadlines. :shock: We can save ourselves a lot of stress if we gather and organize as info comes in, and get finished with that paperwork early.

Please post here any tips and ideas to help others, any recommendations of supplies or storage that have helped you. Feel free to ask questions about how long others keep documents, how they consolidate storage, how they keep on top of complicated tasks, ways to simplify correspondence - whatever advice will help you!

Harriet

Re: Paper Tamers Challenge - Tame by April, 2011

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:55 pm

Today I made up 2 large Swiffer Wet blue containers for tax info, one for each household. They are the perfect size. I took all the bill stubs, etc. out of my envelope-size accordion file for each house and put them in here. First I pulled out the obviously "deductible" ones and wrapped a thin piece of paper around them, taped, and labeled. On the outside of the containers I labeled with 2010 and which household. Now as tax info papers come in the mail I can just stick them into the right box.

Now the accordion files are holding only 2011 items. I keep upcoming bills in the front space in order, with mailing dates written in the space the stamp will cover. The second space is for extra envelopes. The very back one is for deductible receipts/stubs. In the middle I put bill statement/stubs, which usually are taking up several spaces by year's end, so that I don't stretch any one part.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:27 pm

We priced a large 4 drawer filing metal cabinet and it was over $200.oo at staples so we will not be getting one. Can't believe how much the price has gone up on 'em.
Time to purge some files. I offered to help h. with it but he declined my help. We will look at other places for this item however.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:25 pm

Speaking of paper taming...I have to give a big attaboy to my DH who...wait for this...organized his truck! :shock:

He carries files, catalogs, and ring binders full of information he will need out on the job. Usually they are just thrown on the dash and in the other side of the bench seat. When the 2nd person gets in, stuff usually lands on the floor. I have to go out there to retrieve some stuff and it's appalling.

He bought 3 of those wire rack things that you slide onto the bottom of a shelf to make another shelf underneath and found 2 of them fit behind the bench seat back, which flips forward to reveal a little space for jacks, etc. He put a back on the shelves, turned them vertical instead of horizontal, used some seam binding I had and tied them to the back of the seat back. Then he organized and stacked all his papers & books in them.

I like to think some of my work around here is rubbing off on him. Or maybe an alien took over his brain for an evening. At any rate, the whole thing is noteworthy!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:28 pm

Both Woman's Day and Better Homes and Gardens sent me ridiculously low priced invites for subscriptions - the lowest I've ever seen, and I have admired both mags at different times. I suppose it was because I was on Good Housekeeping's list for accepting their free subscription when I bought a Build-A-Bear "save the dolphins" baby toy. I kept the two around for a while, but yesterday decided to throw them both away. Ultimately, I have to remind myself that my magazine stack is already overwhelming and I only have two subscriptions! We also get the electric cooperative mag and some others that just show up, plus we end up with the overflow from my ddad's Reminisce. And I had begun to wonder if I might give HRH a subscription to one he seems to admire (sensible computer stuff). Anyway, into the trash the "HUGE SAVINGS!" went. I'm better off.

The 2 tax boxes are filling up. Just about time to deal with that, but I will wait until all the dr's visits on the horizon are over.

Harmony, I tried to envision what Mr. Harmony did with his truck filing and I think I get it. This ought to really help him put his hands on items when they are needed. Or at least let him know fast if they are in the house instead.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:50 pm

Harriet, pickup trucks with a bench seats have a space behind the seat back. The seat back is able to be flipped forward to reveal a space big enough for a jack and a tool box, that sort of space. He used that space to hang his wire racks. When he flips the seat back into the normal position, one cannot even see that anything is hanging back there, except for the ribbons which come around the top of the seat and tie. It wouldn't work if the seat back had a straight across back, but his are shaped up into a neck rest sort of place, and that's where he tied the rack on to.I'll try to find a picture of the rack.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Tue May 24, 2011 3:57 pm

I know this thread is dated April, 2011, but since I've been working on my filing cabinets and desk the last few months I'll post here.
I have been going through my file cabinets (there are three) and some boxes of papers, receipts, magazines, insurance papers or info sheets, etc. A lot of it is all mixed together. Dh has been helping by sorting stuff into catagories then I file away or discard if it's old enough. So far we've gone through three small boxes and one large stack. I'm getting close enough to see the end of the tunnel!!!
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Return to “Organization and Simplification Tools”