What Are You Reading This Year? 2013

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Ivy

Re: What Are You Reading This Year? 2013

Postby Ivy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:13 am

I believe Sue Monk Kidd's latest book out is "The Invention of Wings." I read a blurb on it, which said it's about a relationship between a young maid and the young woman she works for. I can't recall if it's a turn-of-the-century book or not though. :?:

I ordered a free e-book tonight, when I discovered another romance author, called Robyn Carr. It's called "Sheltering Hearts," and was a Harlequin Romance. She's got a website, too, which is very interesting where you can sign up for her newsletters, too. She writes about strong women and issues of today. Her settings are in a fictional setting in Humboldt County, which I believe is in Northern CA. But I could be wrong on that, since I'm not familiar with the counties of CA. Only WA because I worked for the State of WA once, where I needed to know where each county was, because my job had something to do with people getting permits for building bridges, bulkheads, around streams, the bays and lakes. I loved that job because it made me memorize where all the counties were. :idea: I should Google a map of the county maps, to refresh my memory. :!:

I'm enjoying "Break Out!" by Joel Osteen very much. It's a Christian Inspirational book. What a way with words he has. :!: He makes you feel so uplifted and motivated, too. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:42 pm

I downloaded several free Nook e-books by Florence Witkop. She's an older lady, I subscribe to her blog, and I emailed her to compliment her on her blog and said thank you. She replied, so I'm off to email her back. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:18 pm

I got "Break Out" by Joel O. Today looking forward to this one. With all the news about cyber theft I got a book with pages used cash for this one.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:21 am

Since we are having a spell of bitterly cold weather, I'm going to pull out two of my favorite junior fiction books that are set in hot summer.
GONE AWAY LAKE and RETURN TO GONE AWAY by Elizabeth Enright

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:13 am

Nancy, You were smart, because of cyber theft news, to use cash. It scares me, sometimes, to think what can happen. Once, I had somebody steal my charge card #, from a website, but I had bank fraud on the site's case immediately and never ordered from them again, because DH put his foot down. Had to cancel our card, get a new one, and it's just not right to have a site's security so lax that this happens to their customers. :o ALSO, you'll LOVE Joel's book! :!: :D

Booksaver, I didn't realize you lived where you do. It's so cold there right now! :!: It's on the news! :shock: Reading books that warm you up is a wonderful idea, too! :idea: :)

I ordered an e-book called "COPD," because our DD has it. I wanted to understand more about it and I'm glad it was only about $1.79, too. It's only 56 pages on the e-book, but it answers a lot of questions, has good advice, and it's interesting, too. :)

I hope in 2014, Nancy, or anyone else, starts out this thread again, because it's a great topic to review any year. I think it "tweaks" our curiosity, and brains, we learn more and read more. I think it's a win-win situation having this topic here. :idea: Thank you, Nancy, for starting it for us this year! :D

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:47 am

I would like to suggest that this thread is broken down in to seasons or months so it is shorter for whoever begins it.

Do you have reading goals?

Mods what do you think? 17
pages is a bit much.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:57 am

:idea: Nancy, I believe a monthly "what are your reading this Jan.', etc.. by month thread is good. :D Also, it'd be a good one, too, to have a thread of our reading goals per month, which could be separate. :idea: It could be a monthly goal list, because the year's so long that a list of yearly reading goals might get way too long. :roll:

So it's my "opinion" how nice it'd be to have a what are you reading this month thread for 2014, month to month AND a reading goals list month to month.

Or :idea: we could "challenge" ourselves to read "such-and-such a book" by the end of the month, before the next month starts, and share how we're doing on our self-inflicted challenges. ;) It sure would encourage me, because I get behind in my reading. If I gave myself "assignments" making myself accountable to others here in the Village, who are into book-reading, I think it'd be motivational for me and a win-win situation. Just some ideas we can mull around by 1/1/14. :D

It's fun to make it fun and not a chore. :P

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:35 pm

:shock: :o :oops: :lol: OH, MY! :!: Yesterday I wrote a list inside my master steno pad about books. I listed:
1- Books on loan from DD to read & return,
2- Books I've bought & never read.
3- Books I've started & didn't finish.
4- Books, which I want to re-read. :idea:
5- Books I'm currently reading.
6- Books, for work, about and on writing.

I left off books, which I've read before and don't care to re-read. I left off books from DH's parents' library. I counted them all up, there was over 150 books to read/re-read, so I'm going to be busy reading in the New Year. :!: I think, instead of sitting for hours, without exercise, how I'll read awhile, get up to putter around, do yoga, walk, do chores, crochet, etc... I'll make sure I exercise before I read, too, so I'm not sitting too much nor become too sedentary. I know how there are many fit readers, so it can be done. I'll read current books I'm reading now, return books as I finish them, to DD, and take it from there. Also, if I read DD's thinner books first, I can return 2 to a mailer and will feel productive because more books are being read.

I found Jean M. Auel's book series, I've got the entire series except for the last book, but need to re-read the first in the series and those, which follow, before ordering her last book in the series. I need to also figure out in what order they are read, so will search on-line for a short list. :idea: It'll be down the line a ways, or even into 2015, before I get to the point of reading all in that series. I do believe DD will enjoy the series though. They really make you think. :)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:49 am

Nancy, obviously this subject is HUGELY interesting to lots of villagers, isn't it! Wow, 17 pages. Sure, I could see this as a seasonal thread, or 3-month-at-a-time thread, like "January through March, 2014" or starting "winter" now with "spring" on first day of spring, or monthly, whatever you think.

As usual, you can count on me to be interested in non-fiction titles.

Making Habits, Breaking Habitss: Why We Do Things, Why We Don't, and How to Make Any Change Stick by Jerome Dean, 2013, is a book I am finding so interesting myself that I gave a copy to dstepdil. Looks at habits both from the point of view of good influences, AND from the point of view of very negative influences we might not even realize are directing our lives. Had never thought of some of the concepts here, like the habit could precede the intention and find us rationalizing why we are doing something we didn't set out to do. Puts a new spin on the importance of intentional habit-forming, and having a healthy suspicion of starting to do things we didn't intend.

Men in family are fascinated with Extreme Survival, 2008. There is another in that series by now - didn't know it when we purchased, frankly. Anyway, this one is evidently a can't-put-down book for young men who are outdoorsy, or like camping, roughing-it, travel, exploring. A conversation piece.

The regional Kids Love guides by Michele Zavatsky are great gifts, btw. Gave our state one to ddil and it was a big hit. They love to take their little boy to interesting places. Thick book of ideas for things to take children to, close to home.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:23 pm

Harriet, The books you listed sound wonderful! :!:

It also sounds nice to break the reading list down by seasons, to me, too. What do you think, Nancy? :?:

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”