Health and Fitness, April 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, April 2014

Postby Harriet » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:39 pm

That's a really good, comprehensive article, Twins' Mom. All the authors I've read lately would approve. :lol:

Btw, dd15 did not get an egg and bacon breakfast this a.m. So I'm wondering if she will see any difference in how the first 3 days of the week "felt" compared to today. I really think she'll feel better and stay sharper with early protein.

I'm on the baby steps patrol. Went to great pains to get enough sleep last night. Making a point to stay on top of water drinking today. Exercised early, and only the Basic t tapp with careful stretch. Had my early supplements (plus one Excedrin Migraine) with Jay Robb protein powder in coconut milk with strawberries.

Admitted to myself I've been in pain for a few days (sciatic-type) and took a pain reliever. First time in a long time. It's a good thing, I think, that I almost never take a pain reliever any more. During my migraine/PMS hormonal younger years I felt forced into having them all too often.

Again questioning coffee, which I only started drinking within the last 6 months or so. Was reading that it can be hard on the adrenal glands.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:47 pm

Back from my walk. Beat the storm clouds looming in the western sky.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:00 pm

I got out of shape, out of the daily exercise habit, :oops: so I did calf/leg stretches, only lasted 15 minutes walking, when my knees started hurting. :shock: I've been so lazy lately. My weight's within a 4-Lbs. range, but I need to move more. It's hard when I hurt, to move more. I'll baby-step it until I get back to getting in more activity. :idea:

:oops: :( :roll: :!: :? Made bad choices this evening, about snacking too much. I rarely do a binge, but did this evening, for some reason. All I can do is wake up in the morning, make better choices and start anew. I feel so disgusted with myself & frustrated, too. My diet buddy's having a problem, too.

I downloaded free e-books on my Nook, about diet, fitness, exercise, tips, motivation, etc... :idea: I hope I get inspired to do better than I've been doing lately. I know it's not the end of the world, but I was 176 Lbs. and crept up to 180.6 Lbs. With tonight's eating, I'll probably be 2 Lbs. higher. Oh, well. A new day can be a do-over day, right? :?:

I think I'll count up the weeks until I see my doctor the end of July, then calculate -1 Lb. per week, to "see" where I could be at, by my next visit. :idea: It would motivate me to hit that number, by the time I see him again. He asked me to move more and get more activity. Being a writer, who also reads, pen pals and crochets, makes it more "challenging." It's time to start setting the timer and making a better effort, rather than led the days slide by without exercise. I enjoy feeling endorphins, the feel good things in the brain,too. So what's holding me back? :?: :?: :?:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

OKay

Postby OKay » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:02 am

Today (4/4/2014) was the deadline date I set a month ago to either GMAT with food/weight or seek help.

So......I'm not stopping my effort, but I am going to honor my commitment to seek help. This morning I have -

** Made appoint with family doc to discuss weight and options
** Asked for dietitian or nutritionist recommendation on FB
** Send email to a dietitian, personal trainer company in the big city that focuses on lifestyle, behaviors, and food versus diet.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:22 pm

Re: health h. Has been fighting ear ache, I have had a bit or prob. We that as well. Ddg has a stuff nose now too.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:25 pm

Harriet, interesting about the coffee/adrenal connection. Mine should be fried by now. Have you decided to give it up?

Ivy, you can do it! Both of us working to have better numbers at the doctor's.

OKay, it will be interesting to see what the dr/nutritionist recommends. Do you think that could differ greatly, depending which "camp" they fall in re. low carb, etc. etc.?

I am down 3.5 lbs. I have been trying to work out on our elliptical.
It tires me greatly. I'll keep trying.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:13 pm

I woke up with painful hips, I have osteo in them, but faced sitting in the office chair to finish writing a story today. So I did my calf/leg stretches, walked 30 minutes, did more calf/leg stretches and the pain went away. I was able to sit, without pain and get my story completed and sent off. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:44 am

This is my first time on the treadmill this month. I'm keeping my steps up on my own (barely) but knew today may be low and yesterday was low. I don't want two low days in a row so here I am.

What's different today is that I emailed myself the unfinished sermon and worked on that. I had enough of it already written in my head that I could walk and type at the same time. So I'll have extra distance/steps today.

Tonight's dinner will be bad. We are going out to a specialty burger place and even if I skip fries or onion rings (possible because they have healthier choices), their burgers are quite large, a quarter pound being the smallest.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:27 pm

Take a knife with you, Kathryn, cut the burger in half or at least chop a part of it off and wrap it in plastic. Eat the rest. Oh, if I would take my own advice sometimes.

I have been on the elliptical again. I am trying to work myself up from 5 minutes. 5 minutes isn't much, especially since it's in the 1st number for resistance, but I get hot, can feel my muscles in my legs working (where I really need it) and I am pushing myself to stay on that last minute. I've added a column to my spreadsheet and put an X for exercise.

It appears I am down another 1/2 pound today!

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:37 pm

yeah harmony...I do exactly what you said. Went to a neighbor's cookout on Thur and at the hamburger without the bun and used the trimmings ... lettuce, tomato and onion...as a salad. Asked my friend for a knife and fork to eat my meal. Last night we ate out at Carl jr. Had my hamburger lettuce wrapped. Tonight we are joining friends to eat out...I can have my chicken wrapped as well.

I seldom eat my hamburgers with bread now. No matter where I go I can alway take the bun off and eat the rest with a fork.
I am also trying to limit the amount of beef I eat in a week so I have been switching to chicken sandwiches and doing the same thing.

WTG with your scales Harmony.

Ivy, don't beat yourself up We all do the same thing from time to time. I think it is way harder to stay on program once you've lost a huge amount of weight like you have...Just stay focused on what you've accomplished and don't get upset for a slip-up. What you have already been able to do with your weight is amazing!!!
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Return to “Healthy Habits”