Health and Fitness January, 2015

Share healthy living habits.
Ramblinrose

Re: Health and Fitness January, 2015

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:53 am

My fitness camp started back last night and it was good to be back.

One of friends said being off for two weeks felt weird and I had to agree. As far as water goes, I fill up a half gallon jug with decaf tea and alter at between water and tea. I set out four water bottles on my counter to remind me to drink. When I sub, the entire system goes out the window for obvious reasons. So to counter this I get up earlier than I really need to and down at least 3 16 oz bottles of water.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:14 pm

Well, I'm bouncing around a bit with my weight. But I am out of that awful range and really mindful of what I'm putting in my mouth. I can't really exercise right now, when I do or just move around a bunch that stirs up my coughing. Soon, I'll be able.

Last night I saw a commercial on tv for a food growing company. Their first statement was: "food is love". Therein lies our problem! Food as an emotional crutch. Why is it that lettuce doesn't feel like love the same way a plate of cookies does?

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Hi, everyone!

Twins' Mom, I saw your 5-pound report - kudos to you.

Harmony, looking at numbers with an eye to how much YOU see you've lost is more helpful than dr's notes. Glad that gives you such a positive result. 10 is great.

Why is it that lettuce doesn't feel like love the same way a plate of cookies does?

:| Now, see, that could be a question in a philosophy class, too. :?

LadyM, maybe next time trade LO some other type of treat for his food treat coupons? If he is willing and still considers it a "win".

Ramblin', good compromise solution for water on classroom days.

BookSaver, I'm so interested to hear about your use of the PocketMod for record keeping that's so handy. You've been thinking compact and efficient by-the-day, so you will smile to find out I've been thinking big and whimsical by-the-year.

Have been considering year-long ways to visualize goals/progress for health - something as a color-in visual for office wall, maybe on an 8x11 sheet. Goal images are out there, but so many are the tired, predictable "thermometers" - UGH. :P To me, that has been overused, plus it's just not a happy visual. It either makes me think of being sick, or of reaching uncomfortably hot temps in summer. And it is NOT personal or inspiring.

The daisy image I used to freehand daily, with leaves and petals to color in for 14 healthy habits, was a good reminder. There's a college fund visual on the net with a gingerbread-man-style fellow you fill in from his toes to his graduate's cap. :idea: And a palm tree with bark segments and leaves to fill in, for vacation fund (or maybe vacation weight goal?).

So, I thought, what is a personal image to inspire me to health? Something that shows an emphasis on getting that waist-to-hip ratio down for lower health risks. (And is appropriate to put right up on the wall.) AHA! an apron! So now have a simple line-drawing of an apron with a band at (slim) waist, pieced bodice and gored skirt so there will be lots of segments to color. Decided on 12 segments total to use the image like a mini-poster for month-by-month general HH goals toward a year's progress. I may not write any words on it, but just know what it means to me.

Hopefully at January next year I'll have a fully colored drawing and find myself looking better in styles like that!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:39 pm

I got to the pool today so that's a good step. Had Twins not written about losing her Y card, I'd probably have just ignored the fact I haven't been in ages but it reminded me I belong to the Y too!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:29 pm

Did my ex. Yesterday. Tried to post but goolge chrome was down.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:42 pm

Did my gazelle yesterday and stayed on plan.

Did three miles on my gazelle today and will attended my fitness class tonight. Made a promise to myself and posted to my group on fb that I have committed to exercise for at least 30 mins every day for the next two weeks. The slogan " integrity" and promise keepers have become a pledge to ourselves.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:33 pm

Did my exercise bike.
Posting fron the gazelle nearly done with this session.
2 min. Left.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:54 am

Bad decisions Wednesday sent my weight up 2 pounds.
So Thursday (yesterday) a 1200 cal nearly-no-sugar day.
Breakfast - big veggie/bacon omelet; coffee with cream
Lunch - skinny muffin (flax muffin) with 7 raspberries chopped in; coffee with cream
Supper - Fish, slaw, veggie sticks
snack was pecans
and 3 pounds is gone.

I am so grateful to have tools to go to, remembering how my body works, and foil these worries.

Arthritis - our church pianist is asking for any natural methods to help arthritis in her hands, which is starting to make it difficult to play. She says she is watching her sulfites, although she does have a glass of red wine at night. (My personal thought was to switch to resveratrol capsules and avoid that, but it may not be too bad.) She says she doesn't eat much red meat (don't know what she means by "much"). HRH would probably mention tart cherry supplement, which is good for gout. I know the newest thoughts on joint supplements are that eggshell membrane (the part just under the shell) is especially good. What else?

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:50 pm

I have over done it a bit on carbs but bs was acceptable today.
still need to exercise. But have done lots of extra trile up and down the stairs today. Walking seems like a good idea. That is next up.
walk is done! :mrgreen:

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:35 pm

There are 10 teaspoons of sugar in a can of coke and 8.5 in Dr. Pepper. I am cutting back on soda not because of the sugar artificial or other wise because of how hard it is on my liver.

Harriet... You can buy sevia "true time" brand sticks with flavored powder in it which you can add to water. I like the black cherry limeade. You get 10 stick packages in a box. They can go anywhere with you and I carry them with me all the time.

Return to “Healthy Habits”